Wierd things going on with my Buff Orps

lillybaby

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
In the past two weeks, I've noticed some strange things on with my hens. Some background: we have six in a large run & coop and they free range every day. We don't have a rooster. They are 15 months old and have been laying 5 eggs/day for about 8 months.

Last week, we found a soft-shell egg in the coop and then a couple days later, we noticed maggot-type bugs in the poo when we were cleaning. Then they cut back egg production to 2 per day. Very recently, I've noticed an unusual amount of feathers all over the run and in the coop and yesterday, I discovered that one of the hens is missing all of the feathers and fluff around her bottom. It can't be seen unless you pick her up and tip her butt in the air because the tail feathers are covering it. I didn't see any blood or discoloration though.

I've been looking on the forums for help today, but there are so many different issues and possibilities, I'm overwhelmed. How can I figure out what is going on with them? Thanks so much in advance for help.

-Lilly

xposted

They need to be dewormed. You probably should check them for lice and mites too. Parasite infestations can do aweful things to your chickens.

They will need some higher protein food for help with growing back feathers.

I'll start with that, thanks.
smile.png

Some canned cat food is great for providing the extra protien that they will need, and they love it. Think scarmbled eggs will do the same...

Good luck with your babies!

Back
Top Bottom