Wiggling Egg?

iamjason

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Ok..to day is day 24 starting 12:00am today... and my only egg is wiggling...what does this mean..what do i expect to happen..and what to do when it happens..i only got one egg..

It simply means he'll be out of that egg soon:)

it's a long process, so don't worry to much. Usually it takes atleast 24 hours, if not more.

However some chicks are out of the egg with-in 10 minutes of making a pip! Don't mess

with the egg, don't open the incubator, and just wait. Once the chick is out, wait until it is

COMPLETELY dried off before opening the incubator. Once it is dry, move her to the brooder

and care for you new baby:)

Good luck!

Last edited:
This is my first time incubating...so what is a brooder? and how do i make one?

The brooder is what the chick spends it's first few weeks of life in. You'll need to have a heat lamp

on the chick, because they cannot maintain they're body temp. until they get their feathers in.

Brooders are very easy to make. You need some sort of container. I usually use plastic storage

containers, or cardboard boxes, which are the cheapest way to go, and easiest to handle. You

need a heat lamp, with a bulb, some paper towels, and food and water bowls. Since your chick

is the only chick, your also going to need something to keep her company, like a stuffed animal,

or natural feather duster. Set the brooder up somewhere safe, hook the heat lamp to ONE side

of the brooder so that one side is warm, and the other is cooler, encase the chick gets hot and

needs to move away from the light. Put the paper towels in the bottom for bedding. Keep food

and water in there AT ALL TIMES! :) You really should have learned this all before incubating, but

I've been in your situation before, haha. Heres a thread here on BYC, with pictures of brooders.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6233

When your chick is a couple weeks old, and can walk good, you can use newspaper, or shavings

for bedding. You don't want to put shavings in until the chick learns what IS and what ISN'T food.

You don't want to put something slippery like newspaper in until the chick can walk good, otherwise

the slippery bedding could cause 'splayed leg' http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

The
water dish should be shallow as chicks are very bad about falling asleep and drowing INSIDE the

water bowl! You can put marbles in it if it seems to deep, and they will drink through the crevices between

the marbles.:)

The chick should have an endless amount of food. You need to feed chick started, which can be bought at

the local feed store. I feed starter until the bird starts laying eggs.

Since your chick is an only chick, and since chickens are extremely social birds, you need to either get another

chick or two to keep her company, or get some stuffed animals and/or a feather duster to act like 'momma'.

If they do not have company, they can literally get sick from being lonely. If you choose to use stuffed animals,

be sure there are no strings that could be eaten, or get a toenail snagged in.

Last edited:
A brooder is a separate pin used for the babies. It will have the heat lamp in it with food and a shallow water dish so they cant drown in it. Most people use a big plastic tube for one. line it with shavings on the bottom remember pine not cedar and also dont line it with newspapers.

awwww, what breed is he/she, make sure you post pics. Mine a due to hatch on the 4th of August
wee.gif
i candled them today and they are doing great! and ......
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom