wil leaving a rooster with hens for less than a day promise fertility?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrViskers, Apr 17, 2012.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    in my area i am not permitted to keep roosters but i have a friend who is willing to let me borrow his rooster to make my hens egg fertile so i can hatch them out?

2. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    The short and honest answer is NO. If the roo is shy or the hens want to get to know hi first, you could end up with what you started with. You would have better luck taking the hens to the Roo, but still at less than a day, there would be no guarantee. 10 days is the minimum I would leave them together for best results.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You are better off buying hatching eggs from someone else. Hens do not automatically submit to any old rooster; they often fight with him, injuring one or both of them.

Also, there is the disease factor. You could be introducing disease (you cannot always see a carrier situation like Mycoplasmosis or Coryza) to your hen or the hen to the rooster, even. It's not a good idea at all.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have to agree with the others for the same reasons. You'll be much better off getting hatching eggs from your friend instead of borrowing his rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by