Wild Birbs

GREY HERON
P1100190.jpg
P1100195.jpg

TUFTED DUCK
Recently moved into our local lake, as we have finally started to get a decent amount of rainfall. Our local lake has gone from approximately 20 birds to easily over 100 birds in about 2 weeks! Cool additions indeed, don't know much about tufted ducks but love their eyes!
P1120338.jpg

P1120334.jpg
P1120445.jpg

Just curious, how common are Scaup out there compared to Tufted Ducks? Have you seen one before?
Greater Scaup are pretty uncommon here, especially down in the south. They're more common in lakes /ponds which aren't far from the coastline. Lesser Scaup are even rarer and I've seen a lot of claims that almost all of our lesser scaups are most likely hybrids and not true lesser scaups.

As a paradox to that statement, I've seen Greater Scaup in a lake not too far from us (last winter) but not in the one we frequent.

TUFTED DUCK
Recently moved into our local lake, as we have finally started to get a decent amount of rainfall. Our local lake has gone from approximately 20 birds to easily over 100 birds in about 2 weeks! Cool additions indeed, don't know much about tufted ducks but love their eyes!
View attachment 3258737
View attachment 3258738View attachment 3258744
When I saw these I thought they were Bluebills (greater scaup), we have a bunch of them around here. Never heard of tufted duck but after looking them up that's definitely what those appear to be. They have that distinguishing "tuft" of feathers on the back of their head....

When I saw these I thought they were Bluebills (greater scaup), we have a bunch of them around here. Never heard of tufted duck but after looking them up that's definitely what those appear to be. They have that distinguishing "tuft" of feathers on the back of their head....
Always remind me of my early 20s!

Back
Top Bottom