wild bird seed safe for chickens???

mlowarren

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Birmingham, AL
When I let my chickens out of their run to free range in the back yard, they love to go under the wild bird feeders and pick up what the birds have dropped on the ground. I buy the Songbird Garden seed by Morning Song from Sam's. Is this safe for my flock?
idunno.gif

Thanks in advance!!

Hope so since my parents' neighbors' 8 BO hens have discovered my dad's bird feeders. He said they make a beeline to his yard every morning when they are let out of their coop. They clean up the seed that hits the ground, much to the dismay of the squirrels.
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If I did not feed the small "raptors" at my feet when filling bird feeder I'd lose toes!!!
lol.png

The ground under most bird feeders has a lot of poop from wild birds, too, so bird seed isn't the only thing your chickens are likely to pick up there. Keep an eye out for worms, mites, etc.

Quote:
I tought chickens are birds, aren't they?

I feed mine some wild bird seeds, plenty of whole oats, some commercial scratch, all kitchen scraps I have, besides regular crumble or pellets.

The more variety, the better.

My chicks never developed any digestive, or food related problems.

The commercial feed industry propaganda is trying to scare people feeding chickens and other animals anything but their product for obvious reason.

Back
Top Bottom