wild bird seed

PeggySue

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Is there any reason why chix should NOT have wild bird seed? I don't mean as their source of food, I mean just scattered around once in awhile...theory being, they can either snack on it, or it might sprout into a tasty morsel....I have sunflowers sprouting from seeds dropped from the wild bird feeders and I've tossed a couple of blooming ones into the pen, and plan to do that with others when they bloom.... just a random thought I had........
smile.png

Blue_Myst

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
I don't see any problems with it. My birds lived on it for a few months (long story short, they went out of sight whenever I let them out of the coop. One day I followed them and found them ransacking the leftovers from my neighbor's bird feeder
hmm.png
).

bluey

thootp veteran
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Washington, PA
My chickens get wild bird seed as a treat when it falls from the deck onto the ground from the bird feeder. The woodpeckers and bluejays love knocking the seed all over the place.

PeggySue

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Quote:
Oh I love Blue Jays!! So many folks consider them nuisances, but I just love them. Used to have lots of them around, but the past year or so they have all but disappeared...but am seeing a couple this year, their bright blue and the red of cardinals is such a treat... saw a baby being fed by its mama last week on my patio and it just made my day!!

(long story short, they went out of sight whenever I let them out of the coop. One day I followed them and found them ransacking the leftovers from my neighbor's bird feeder hmm ).

Good thing you have understanding neighbors, I doubt mine would be so tolerant.....(they are the "Yard of the Month" type folks and frown at me quite frequently!!)

Top Bottom