Wild birds swooping in

Joyfillednomads

Songster
Feb 11, 2021
United States of America
So Gorgeous Red Cardinals, Robin's, blue jays, Jay's, etc have been stealing feed. Pretty brave swooping in stealing sunflower seeds and grain.
Now we have baby bird nests everywhere. Sadly, I found an abandoned Robin's nest in my rose bush. There are nests in my gutters and every trees has nests. As lovely as they may be... THEY ARE LOUD and more vocal than our backyard bunch.
Not sure what is whistling at 5:00am, but I almost had my hubby cut an old oak tree down just to get it to leave... till I saw the nests.
My backyard flock is attracting all the wild birds from the conservation area...
Very tempted to remove at least 5 trees at the end of the birds' breeding seasons and put up a few different types of bird houses a ways away from my bedroom window.
We love seeing them, and will continue to house & feed them. Worried that the chicks will stay and next season we will overwhelmed.
We have reduced feed, removed feed at night. But since we pasture our chickens, there is enough wild & natural food for the wild birds.
We currently do not have a cat and I would not want it to wander off destroying native critters.
The birds could careless about the dogs. And the squirrels and chipmunks don't seem to give a hoot about the dogs either. The wild rabbits are a rare sight now.
Anyone else improve the habitat for their animals, to have wild and native animals try to take over?
I wouldn't be so worried, but the wild birds attract hawks and other birds of prey. And scared we won't be able to free range anymore.

THEY ARE LOUD and more vocal than our backyard bunch

We have no trees right up near our house and we don't feed the wild birds. We do have 1 "birdaminium" my husband calls it which is a bird house with several "rooms".
This week there has been a specific little swallow that I don't know if she has babies in one room or if they died or what has happened but she is squawking like crazy night and day!
Could she feel intimated by the chicks that are in the yard and that be what is causing her to squawk constantly? And you are right they are LOUD!

I only have chicken feed pellets available now, and the birds are eating it. It happens every summer when they are raising their young, and it involves cardinals, finches, and the very aggressive and messy starlings. I have controlled it somewhat by keeping the pellets mostly in the coop with only the pop door open. The wild birds have a small pan they can get to, but the chickens can get back in their large coop if they need more food. By August, there usually is a reduction in the bird activity. I personally like the bird sounds and my trees, so you may want to try some ear plugs.

Back
Top Bottom