Wild Bob-White Quail Populations?

ella&clara :

I have heard that habitat loss is the problem. My property is in a rural, wooded area, so that gives me hope, and it backs up to hundreds (?) of acres of wooded land. I know nothing about it at all, you all told me about the need for a license. Anyone know why it's illegal to release without a license?

JUST AN IDEA HERE... NOT SAYING ITS CORRECT BUT IT STANDS TO REASON THAT IF YOUR LOCATION WAS FAVORABLE FOR SUPPORTING WILD QUAIL, AND IS WITHIN THE NORMAL RANGE OF THE SPECES (THEY ARE INDIGENOUS TO YOUR AREA) ITS PROBABLY PRETTY LIKELY THEY WOULD BE THERE ALREADY??​

Quote:
This maybe , yes few other things need done to help . habitat is a big one, food plots , also need to try to keep predators numbers down, skunk,raccoons, possums , are three big ones. I know here its legal ,but check your state laws. Another thing type of Bobs , Northern bobs for here.

Yes i have my land set aside for wildlife........i also band those that i release.........thats how i know some made it. Lot harder with Bobs than phesants..those are easier. illegal to release turkey here.

Winter kill here take most of wild bobs, but we even have a hunting season for bobs in southern Ohio.

GET ALL THE FACTS BEFORE TRYING.........NOT A GOOD IDEA FOR MOST PEOPLE. that 80% loss is even the wild bobs

ella&clara :

I have heard that habitat loss is the problem. My property is in a rural, wooded area, so that gives me hope, and it backs up to hundreds (?) of acres of wooded land. I know nothing about it at all, you all told me about the need for a license. Anyone know why it's illegal to release without a license?

You need a license so your state can keep an eye on what you are doing. Not to be nosey, but because by releasing your penned up quail, which could have disease, genetic issues and such things, could endanger the entire wild population, killing what is left of them.

The state will want to come and check your facilities on a yearly basis, maybe twice a year. If they don't like what they see, you must fix the issue or they will shut you down.​

Last edited:
IMO, the decline of the wild quail began in this area when the tractor supplanted the mule. It's all been downhill since. It's not like this county has gone from an idyllic farming community to wall to wall stip malls. It's still a rural area, it's a 30 mile drive from my house to the nearest WalMart. Folks just slowly but surely changed over the past 50-70 years from row crops to peaches to cattle pasture to planted pines.

When I was a kid there was a bounty on foxes and it was considered a good thing to kill any hawks. Now I can walk out in my back yard most anytime and see a hawk hunting. We have Coyotes out the ears...

I am on KenKs' bandwagon. Here in Southern Illinois, we have been growing like mad. You used to be able to go in any one direction and find excellent quail habitat, now I have 6 Wal-Marts within 30 minutes in any direction. As we grow, we shrink the country side, and the coyote seems to like filling the gap. With farmers trying to farm every last inch they own, and predators filling the gap between city and country, we have made quail a rare site around here.... You actually see more Wally Worlds than you do quail anymore.

Quote:
A lot of our small farms still have wild bobs because they do not "clean farm" they leave hedgerows this is important because the birds have cover to run to when escaping predators here in the marshes I live in they have the same cover Plus I control the preds for them Just a little bit
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

They discussed hedgerows on Edwardian Farm. Great episode. Important biodiversity to the farms, wild life habitat, and a supplemental food source for people and wildlife were all provided by hedgerows even though their primary function was to keep your sheep from wondering around.

Monoculture, herbicides, etc... are very hostile to wildlife.

Quote:
KEN THERE IS A GREAT DEAL OF LITERATURE OUT THERE THAT SUPPORTS THIS VERY CAUSE--- DESTRUCTION OF HABITAT BY FARM MACHINERY 1ST THEN DEVELOPMENT SECOND. AND FIRE ANTS ALSO PLAY A LARGE PART

Humans are over running the Earth and breeding like mice, ever expanding, destroying the entire planet, leaving nothing for our wildlife in our wake. It is a wonder there is any habitat anywhere for anything to exist. It is revolting.

Back
Top Bottom