Wild Canada goose question

dixiegal62

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Arab Alabama
We have a few that visit in the fall and spring then leave. This year we have one that seems to want to stay, the others have been gone a few weeks. It's took over our pond and wont let our goose and duck in the water. I'm wondering if it's because it's spring and mating season and it will settle down and be nicer later. When it first got here it acted like it was trying to mate with our goose now it's attacking. Our pond is pretty good sized, little over an acre so there should be plenty of room for all of them but this one does not share nicely. It also ran off the great blue Herring that's been coming here for years. I wouldn't mind it staying if its going to settle down in a few weeks but if not I gotta figure out how to run it off.

We have a few that stay here all year as well. But, they all get along great with the domestic geese and even form tight bonds. I don't know why yours is so mean to the others. Maybe things will change with time. Our Canada geese that live here are very docile, though I have had one get a little mean towards ducklings, but I think his new domestic Chinese gander friend keeps him in check.

Are you sure it's just one goose and there's not a lady friend on a nest nearby?

By the way, herons are natural enemies of goslings and that might be why he's being aggressive towards that one. We had a heron picking off ducklings at one lake nearby and the goose stepped in and gave that heron a good thrashing. Never saw that heron stalking ducklings ever again.

It could be a pair. We had a pair here for about a month. Then a single one came and the pair kept chasing it off. When we didn't see the pair anymore and just one we assumed the pair left and the single one came back. Guess we'll know in a few weeks.

We have a few that stay here all year as well. But, they all get along great with the domestic geese and even form tight bonds. I don't know why yours is so mean to the others. Maybe things will change with time. Our Canada geese that live here are very docile, though I have had one get a little mean towards ducklings, but I think his new domestic Chinese gander friend keeps him in check.

Are you sure it's just one goose and there's not a lady friend on a nest nearby?

By the way, herons are natural enemies of goslings and that might be why he's being aggressive towards that one. We had a heron picking off ducklings at one lake nearby and the goose stepped in and gave that heron a good thrashing. Never saw that heron stalking ducklings ever again.

I am betting that is a male that has staked out your pond and their is a mate sitting on a nest of eggs near the pond. Canada geese are very protective of their nest.

Back
Top Bottom