Wild Canadian Goose

Zannelo

In the Brooder
May 26, 2024
Hi All, Hoping to get some insight on what if anything I can do about this poor wild Canadian goose that has been sitting on her nest since the 3rd week of March. Surely these can't still be viable. Is there anything I can do to help her. She and the dad are very protective. I have kept my dogs and other varmints away to help her but I have 15 acres fenced in and naturally the dogs want to go to the nest. How long will she sit? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, and welcome to BYC. I don't honestly know anything about Canadian geese. However, Google says the gestational period is from 28 to 30 days. The hen first lays the eggs about one every two days until she has 12 to 15 eggs. So that would take around 2 months. Of course she probably wouldn't sit 24/7 for that laying period, but she would still sit for long periods of time.
Anyway I'd leave her alone for another week.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I know nothing about Canadian Geese but I do care a lot about wildlife. If shes actually been setting on the eggs 24/7 since March, the eggs aren't going to be viable. If shes been laying then since then, its possible she has only begun to incubate them. Id watch her for a few more weeks, hopefully she stays safe until babies hatch.

Welcome to our community!

Back
Top Bottom