Wild cherry trees

VWDoug
I found out have a wild cherry in our property..ho can I tell which cherry it is..? are they the tiny ones ? how do you process????
I did pick some mulberries. which I picked more than a pint... had to fight the wikd birds for them. chickens soon tired of them....
thanks course chickens have access to most of the trees.....

i was unable to find any pictures in my files of the cherries on the trees, and there are few if any this year. Here is a picture of the blossoms in mid-late Spring

And here is a small bowl full I harvested

*AHEM* This is how I process, not necessarily a "safe" or "approved" method, so I'm not saying YOU should do it the same way.
I rinse and cook them in water, mash them up, and squeeze through fine cloth. I then add the juice to simple syrup (water and as much sugar as you want). bring to a boil, and simmer until it is the consistency I want for syrup. Then I pour into sterilized mason jars and secure the lids tightly.

Last edited:
i was unable to find any pictures in my files of the cherries on the trees, and there are few if any this year. Here is a picture of the blossoms in mid-late Spring

And here is a small bowl full I harvested

*AHEM* This is how I process, not necessarily a "safe" or "approved" method, so I'm not saying YOU should do it the same way.
I rinse and cook them in water, mash them up, and squeeze through fine cloth. I then add the juice to simple syrup (water and as much sugar as you want). bring to a boil, and simmer until it is the consistency I want for syrup. Then I pour into sterilized mason jars and secure the lids tightly.
I know this is an old post but this is the tree that grows over my chicken run. They drop these cherries right into the run. Can they eat them just the way they are? It’s be pretty difficult to move this run lol and the tree is not mine.

Back
Top Bottom