Wild Chicken!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Preservation Acres, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The calm and peaceful home of my mild mannered hens has been turned upside down by their newest sister.

I couldn't resist buying a beautiful game hen and adding her to my flock, and she's a wild thing.

She's the flightiest bird I've ever seen in my life. She flies into the trees when she's free ranging, and if you get within 30 feet of her, she panics.

Do flighty hens like this one eventually calm down???

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I have no idea about game birds. I hope she calms down....otherwise you will have your work cut out....[​IMG]

3. Doctor Cain

Doctor Cain Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    I dunno about "psycho" wild chickens, but I know some about stray "wild" chickens. I've been feeding some wild ones for a long time now. When I used to first encounter them, they ran for the hills from me. But eventually, they recognized my voice (I would say "CHICKEN!!!" really loud), and I'd drop some food. First one or two would only approach, but I guess word gets around fast. If they're hungry (which they almost always are), they'll learn to dine with their other breatheren. If you're really patient, grab a mat, have a seat, and pour some scratch around you, have them warm up to your presence. They'll eventually eat out of your hand, and maybe even jump up onto you as they mature! This is rare, though. Out of my flock of about 20, only 5 of them are brave enough to fly up to my hand when held out, 2 of which have no problems making their way on the top of my head! [​IMG]

Try (carefully and safely) grabbing one some time, pet it to calm it down, have it eat out of your hand, and maybe give it a nice rub down. They'll love you even more, and I feel it builds rapport with them. [​IMG]

I've had no cases of it pooping on me, though 3 cases of them pooping on the ground, stepping in it, then flying onto me. [​IMG]

4. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I have some American game hens that I have had for a year now and they have never calmed down. They still fly into the trees and skwak and run or low fly away from me if I get near them. Good luck with you new baby. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by