Wild chickens on the street, can i catch em?

So you may catch them(legally)...
...but can you....
..and more importantly should you?

ETA: I mean what is your goal.... free birds, 'rescue'?
Do you have the space to keep them?
Do you already have birds that might infested or infected by wild/feral birds?

Last edited:
On a moral level I see nothing wrong with it so long as the chickens are truly feral. I myself would love to go collecting in Tampa and Key West but I think some or both of those populations may be protected. Many of those birds look like my Cracker birds and I suspect that in their original forms they were basically the same bird, a bankivoid gamefowl the Spanish brought to the new world that adapted to Florida.

In my locality I am aware of some feral flocks that law enforcement has told me is free for the taking if they can be caught. But I haven’t seriously followed up to the location.

My question is (and I've looked all over but not able to find a definitive answer), am I allowed to gather up the chicks to add to my backyard chicken flock? I'm aware of potential diseases and whatnot and would have them checked. My question is more on the legally moral side. I know I can catch em, but am I allowed to just pick up random ones from the side of the road?

They gave me the local animal control number. AC they said they could come out to remove them. When I asked if I could, they said they didn't know if it would be safe to do so but didn't say not to.
The only people that know whether or not it is legal are the people in authority there. I don't know if you are in city limits or in the county. Animal control would not give you a straight answer. I have no idea what they meant by "safe", that could mean many different things. I don't know how much you emphasized "legally" when you spoke with them. You might call back and try to speak to a manager. Be very clear with your question. It might help if you ask an elected representative, your city or county representative, they can often get answers where you can't, if they will. Some will, some won't.

I don't know who owns the land they are on. Is it private, city, county, or state land? If you can find out who owns the land and talk to them you might be able to get a clear answer. This would probably be the direction I'd take.

Those chickens do not belong to you. Taking them without permission is called theft. Theft is both morally and legally wrong, at least in my opinion. Could you take some without getting caught? Quite possibly. Would you really be in trouble if you did get caught? Maybe, maybe not. The owner may be glad to get rid of them, you never know. But I don't think you are planning on catching all of them, just some. If it's like I imagine you probably can't catch all of them anyway.

20210626_173747.jpg

There are communities where tax payer money is being spent to pay city employees and contractors to round up feral chickens. Key West and Honolulu for example. In these and other communities there are also private pest control companies that specialize in removing feral chickens. They mostly respond to complaints about feral roosters disturbing the peace but will catch any wild chicken they can. We're talking about tens of thousands of chickens. They will never catch them all and it is an ongoing problem. Captured birds are given away to anyone willing to take them for flock or food. It is difficult work. The birds become very wary and evasive once they realize they are being pursued. Hawaii is considering a state law that would impose a fine of $500 for feeding wild chickens.

There are communities where tax payer money is being spent to pay city employees and contractors to round up feral chickens. Key West and Honolulu for example. In these and other communities there are also private pest control companies that specialize in removing feral chickens. They mostly respond to complaints about feral roosters disturbing the peace but will catch any wild chicken they can. We're talking about tens of thousands of chickens. They will never catch them all and it is an ongoing problem. Captured birds are given away to anyone willing to take them for flock or food. It is difficult work. The birds become very wary and evasive once they realize they are being pursued. Hawaii is considering a state law that would impose a fine of $500 for feeding wild chickens.
Anything to shakedown the taxpayers.

Back
Top Bottom