Wild duck landed in my yard

Alexar232

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2022
A wild mallard flew into my yard before and was eating the bird seed. She went over to my ducks and seemed very interested. My ducks seemed to like her. My mallard especially. The duck ended up flying away but for the last hour my mallard has been looking around the yard for her. She wants her to come back. I put out some dried mealworms to hopefully get her back here so she can mingle with my ducks. Does anyone know if she will come back after seeing how much she liked my ducks?

DON'T LET HER COME BACK. Waterfowl are the primary carriers and victims of the recent avian bird flu that is going around. If you want to keep your flock safe, keep all wild birds, rodents, and other animals away from the flock. No birds can survive the avian flu, and there is no vaccine for it. Birds can have or carry the flu without showing symptoms of it. For the sake of your ducks or other poultry you may have around, I advise that you don't let the duck stick around if she comes back.

DON'T LET HER COME BACK. Waterfowl are the primary carriers and victims of the recent avian bird flu that is going around. If you want to keep your flock safe, keep all wild birds, rodents, and other animals away from the flock. No birds can survive the avian flu, and there is no vaccine for it. Birds can have or carry the flu without showing symptoms of it. For the sake of your ducks or other poultry you may have around, I advise that you don't let the duck stick around if she comes back.
Birds can survive the avian flu, especially ducks. But its not a good idea to invite them into your yard because if they have it and survive they can still carry it.

Not a duck, but I once had a pheasant roost in one of my Cypress trees.

I don't believe he was "wild," but came from a sportsman's preserve that may be roughly three miles from here, as the crow flies. Ha.

A wild mallard flew into my yard before and was eating the bird seed. She went over to my ducks and seemed very interested. My ducks seemed to like her. My mallard especially. The duck ended up flying away but for the last hour my mallard has been looking around the yard for her. She wants her to come back. I put out some dried mealworms to hopefully get her back here so she can mingle with my ducks. Does anyone know if she will come back after seeing how much she liked my ducks?
Idk if you got an answer but a solution to it may be to get another mallard. From what you said she may be lonely being the only mallard in the flock. That wild one may carry the bird flu and can be dangerous so it would be better just to get 1 or 2 mallard ducklings from a hatchery to become companions in the future. (I suggest McMurray hatchery)

Back
Top Bottom