Wild duckling ID needed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Laura78, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Laura78

Laura78 Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    So we went for a hike with some friends and apon coming home a neighbor brought some friends over and they handed me a little duckling and asked me to care for it. I have no problems being able and willing to care for a bird. But I have no idea what kind of duckling this is. They said they found it near a fast moving river and that it was all alone with no nest to be found and it was getting dark. So they brought it to me so it wouldn't die. I've got it in a brooder by itself (for now) with some food and water, not to metion a heat lamp over it. On it's back it looks like a Rowan duckling, but it doesn't look like one in the face. Also, it's feet are dark with light colored 'bands' on them. BTW, we're in Western WA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    maybe a mallard?

it kinda looks like a wood duckling though

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I was thinking a wood duckling

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I was thinking wood duck too... "he" is VERY cute, good luck with him!!

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Crowing

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I'm thinking wood duck

6. Laura78

Laura78 Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Yeah, I just did a google search on mallard ducklings and ran across a picture of a wood duckling and it looked just like this baby. I so hope it's a male. We were going to order wood ducklings but the price was enough to stop me this year. Was planning on it next year though. My boyfriend ties flies for fishing and if this is a boy they would make perfect feathers, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: