Wild ducks?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by animalloverducks, Nov 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. animalloverducks

animalloverducks Hatching

Nov 1, 2018
    Hi,
    I live next to a beautiful creek filled with wildlife.
    There is a family of ducks that "lives" in our backyard. They showed up one day and never left. Now that it's approaching winter I was wondering if it would be okay to build a structure where they could stay warm.
    Would this be illegal? We are not technically "keeping them" as they can leave at any time.
    PS. Yes, we are guilty of feeding them, thats probably why they are here :)

WVduckchick likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are you sure they are wild ducks? Are they mallards? I don't think wild ducks would use a structure for protection. Most wild ducks either migrate or spend the winter on open water.

3. animalloverducks

Nov 1, 2018
    They are a mix of males and females- and yes mallards.
    Last year a group of them left but one group stayed the winter.

4. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Could you post a picture of them? I think you maybe have a group of rouens someone most likely abandoned in a near by lake or pond.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  5. animalloverducks

Nov 1, 2018
    yes there is a pond near our house next to the creek. I can't do any pics right now but I think that I should just leave them how they are.

6. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    How cold are your winters? If they are indeed domestic instead of mallards then it's probably best for them to intervene..Rouen and mallards look exactly the same, Although Rounes will look much larger and aren't * able to fly. Here's a pic of mine as an example. IMG_2530.JPG

7. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If they are indeed wild ducks, the best way to find out what you can or cannot do for them is to call your local game warden or DNR agent. Discuss with them the situation and what you would like to do. They will be able to tell you what you can or cannot do and may even offer suggestions that you have not thought of.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: