wild ducks

HappyDuckie

🙄🤚 Almighty Queen of Orplingtons 🥶🙏💙
Sep 30, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
I'm new here. I joined because I had some questions, so thanks in advance if anyone knows.
So, with domestic ducks the ratio of drakes to hens is usually 3-4 hens per drake, right? And won't wild ducks fight if there are many males and few females? The whole reason I'm wondering is I'm staying near a lake that has some mallards. 6 drakes (all have drake feathers and drake coloring) and one hen. It seems strange to me, I've been watching them for three days now and not seen any aggression whatsoever, towards the hen or drakes fighting each other. Is it because its not breeding season?

I don't have a conclusive answer for you but an observation. Pix is from this last spring, and this pair would visit my yard daily to get seeds/feed, that I placed into feeder. Some seeds would fall to ground naturally.
They visit me every year and then when they are about to lay eggs, (time of season) they no longer come. I know they live near the creek, 1/4 mile away. Never seen any baby ducklings, :hit We have plenty of predators around. :(
Always one drake, and one hen.
IMG_20200319_164651541_HDR.jpg

BTW, the large white, is a plastic goose :gig

ETA;
duckiemum
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

:welcome I am new to having ducks and in no way any expert on the whole Duck mating, breeding thing. :)

Since domestic ducks don't migrate and live within a small flock, there needs to be at least a one Drake to four Hen ratio to help reduce any possible over mating issues. Like in most wild and domestic animals, if the female is not ready ( in heat) she will not stand for the male so she can be bred and the chase continues.

We have a young flock of Rouens and they are at the age where the Boys have just started to notice the Girls. I have seen them do their little head bobbing courtship dance and then the Hen will lay flat for the Drake to climb on. It's actually funny at times to see, because the young drake is still trying to figure out what direction he needs to be pointed! :lau

Even if you don't have Ducks, This BYC Forum is loaded with lots of great information with very knowledgeable members who are more then will to jump in and help you with any questions you may have. :)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/what-to-watch-for-duck-courtship-video/#:~:text=Most species of ducks find,on their breeding grounds spring.

In the wild ducks breed during breeding season, they normally get along because there is little reason to fight outside of that time. Also they have room to run if they need too. Sometimes drakes will still overbreed a hen and even kill her. I've seen this happen at a lake I lived near. They will sometimes also kill the ducklings.

I'm a nanny and I've worked at a house overlooking a lake for 4 years now. I have been observing the same thing daily. 1-10 males with one female peacefully swimming around. Even in the spring I never see ducks fighting - not once.

I speculate that it is because they can fly away if conflicts become unbearable? However, I have heard stories of male mallards drowning female mallards while mating. I just haven't seen it, and therefore assume it is much less likely than in a confined space. Or perhaps birds who have been bred to have intensely increased egg production also have intensely increased mating drive? I have never had mallards, so I am unaware how they get along in captivity.

I'm a nanny and I've worked at a house overlooking a lake for 4 years now. I have been observing the same thing daily. 1-10 males with one female peacefully swimming around. Even in the spring I never see ducks fighting - not once.

I speculate that it is because they can fly away if conflicts become unbearable? However, I have heard stories of male mallards drowning female mallards while mating. I just haven't seen it, and therefore assume it is much less likely than in a confined space. Or perhaps birds who have been bred to have intensely increased egg production also have intensely increased mating drive? I have never had mallards, so I am unaware how they get along in captivity.
Yes, I agree with the being bred increasing mating drive. My drake mates my hen year round, not just in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom