1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wild Grape VInes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickiedoodle, Aug 19, 2008.

1. chickiedoodle

chickiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    I have wild grape all over the place and was wondering if anyone knows if it is okay for the chickens to eat it? I can't seem to find anything one way or the other on any of the poison plant lists I have found.[​IMG]

2. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I bet goats would love it!

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm not totally sure what wild grapes are, but we have grape vines all across the back of our property, different kinds. i feed them to my chickens. But i either cut them or break them first, as i've heard a whole grape can impact a crop. But i have not had problems so far, other then all the kids fighting over them.

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My chickens eat grape leaves all the time. You can eat them, too - the leaves are used for cooking and pickling, and the raw tendrils have a lemony flavor.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh wow, i never thought about using those grape leaves for cooking and eating. We have a ton of them in our yard. i may have to look up a pickling recipe.

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    My chickens will denude a grape vine of leaves and grapes in no time! They LOVE the concord grapes, which are pretty close to the wild grapes in texture and taste (IMHO). I would never think to break them up, if their crop can handle a lizard surely it can handle a grape!

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My neighbors next door have a massive grape arbor. It's a rental and they don't touch anything. I've been watching the grapes carefully and plan to give as many as I can grab from the fenceline to my girls.

For 2 years in a row I've denuded their red currant bush in the front yard in the very early morning hours! [​IMG]

8. chickiedoodle

chickiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Well, goats are next on my wish list--don't anyone tell my hubby yet [​IMG]--but none so far, so I will give the grape vines to the chickens. I like them overall, but they are invading some trees in the front yard and left to their own devices, they will kill trees. I have eaten pickled grape leaves before in some Mid-East food and they were yummy. Didn't know wild grape would work too...

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Mine munch on the wild grape vines all the time, they seem to love them!

10. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:My goats love the grape leaves when I've trimmed out the vines. In fact next to lilac bushes it seems to be one of their favorites

Farmer MacK [​IMG] [​IMG] 11 hens, 1 dawg, 2 cats, 3 adult goat, 2 kids (a buck and a doe still no cash), and um oh yeah wife is still here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by