Wild Mallard duck egg? Found in my eggs

Crazy4Fowl

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2014
My duck coop
I found this tiny egg in my coop today and I didn’t think much of it except how surprised I was, as this was the smallest egg I’ve ever gotten from my ducks. But this evening the female mallard was frantically trying to get into my pen. The mallards have been hanging out with my ducks for a couple weeks now. And since today I found this tiny egg and then this evening the mother mallard is trying to get in my pen, it really seems like it may be her egg. The only thing that doesn’t make sense is that I haven’t let the ducks out the past couple days so I’m not sure how she could’ve got in there to lay. Perhaps it’s just a misfit Khaki Campbell egg?

Attachments

• 6CA12F0D-0A14-4828-8822-4424A00AC81B.jpeg
    6CA12F0D-0A14-4828-8822-4424A00AC81B.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 10E0174A-934A-4A15-B2E7-BD13E6D635AA.jpeg
    10E0174A-934A-4A15-B2E7-BD13E6D635AA.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 20
I found this tiny egg in my coop today and I didn’t think much of it except how surprised I was, as this was the smallest egg I’ve ever gotten from my ducks. But this evening the female mallard was frantically trying to get into my pen. The mallards have been hanging out with my ducks for a couple weeks now. And since today I found this tiny egg and then this evening the mother mallard is trying to get in my pen, it really seems like it may be her egg. The only thing that doesn’t make sense is that I haven’t let the ducks out the past couple days so I’m not sure how she could’ve got in there to lay. Perhaps it’s just a misfit Khaki Campbell egg?
It could be a "wind egg" which are super small and an oops in the system of egg laying. Altho it is weird about the mallard

It could be a "wind egg" which are super small and an oops in the system of egg laying. Altho it is weird about the mallard
I have seen my hens roll their eggs and I have heard that they can pick them up with their mouths so possibly one of your hens took the egg they found if they had access to where the Mallard hen was. I had a nest with 19 eggs on it and there is no way my big Rouen hens could get to where the nest was built in the pen yet a lot of their eggs were in the nest, They had to be either rolled there or picked up by the Broody Mallard so she could hatch them out. Eleven of them hatched out just fine. My Mallard eggs were always light green and the Rouen's eggs were much larger and white.

Back
Top Bottom