Wild Mallards

strider84

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
Hello,

Just wondering if I could have some advice regarding a couple of female Mallards who have appeared in our garden overnight.

We live in the country with no water in the garden (though there is a late about 1km away with literally hundreds of Mallards in). The Mallards in the lake I think are being bred for a shoot so I am glad a couple have found a safe place in our garden just a few questions I have.

1. Is it normal for two females to walk around together? I have seen no signs of a drake an the two females never leave each others side.

2. The lake in which I presume they came from 1km away is full of female Mallards and again not a sign of a drake? The lake is so full and if you walk along the path to the side of the lake it is absolutely rammed with ducks hundreds of them again if they didn't move you woundn't be able to find a path through but no drake? Seems very odd to me?

3. To accomodate the 2 ladies who have recently appeared in my garden what can I do to help them? I have read that generally speaking they will eat anything so food is not really a issue. I have put down a water bowl which they drink out of and even though we only met today they have followed me into the house a few times! I am concerned I cannot find a nest I haven'nt gone rummaging in the undergrowth and am a little concerned that they may have nested in my compost heap (I have left a couple of holes around the base of my heap which may be enticing).

I must admit I never thought of ducks as having personalities but these ladies are absolutely fantastic!

Any help answers to the above would be greatly appreciated.

welcome-byc.gif
I am guessing that the mallards in your yard and those on the lake are exhibiting Eclipse plumage. They will soon molt and the drakes will regain their drake colors. This transient plumage is an annual thing after the breeding season and prior to the next.

Very interesting...... So I wonder if it is two ladies I have in my garden after all... The only difference I can see really is a slight difference in size .......

Very interesting...... So I wonder if it is two ladies I have in my garden after all... The only difference I can see really is a slight difference in size .......
either mother daughter or a pair. they are sure pretty. and since I don't know that much about Mallards but I'm thinking I saw someone post about blue on the wings being duck [but don't quote me]
wink.png

Those actually look like two young drakes. Their bills are turning green. I would say about three months old. I've found young mallard drakes get very curious and often act unafraid of people at this age.

Last edited:
Ah thats interesting I wonder how long they will hang around for?

They are definately unafraid and respond to my voice infact If I call out to them they come running after me and have spent much of the day following me back and forth as I wheel stuff across the garden in the wheel barrow. Also unafraid of the dog too!

The age of 3 months would make sense as the lake I was referring to in my original post had about a tenth of the population a couple of months back.

Back
Top Bottom