wild rabbit in my basement///////// help

Option 1: If male, find female. If female, find male, start colony in your basement.
Option 2: sing in your best Wagnerian opera voice, “KILL DA WABBIT, KILL DA WABBIT, KILL DA WABBIT, KILL DA WA-A-A-BIT”
but with all seriousnes how do I trap it ? what lure should I use? I dont want a dead rabbit body in the basement..

Hmm if killing it I assume is not an option.....could you just chase it out??
I tried to but that thing ran into the item room and burrowed itself into the tight nooks and crannies. It still comes out often though, but keeps on running back to its artificial burrow whenever I come.

I tried to grab it but it screamed and tried to bit e me..

It will probably go toward light. turn the lights out and leave a basement door open. It would help if you put a rabbit treat on each step. Just a little green leaf to encourage it to go up.

At the top of the stairs have a large dog crate (the wire kind, not with solid sides) with a saucer of water at the far end, and some yummy greens. Have the crate far enough from the doorway that you can swing the crate door closed. Use a string tied to the crate door so you can swing it closed without being seen.

If you don't know anyone with a dog crate, the dog pound would probably lend you one.

You could also play follow the light in the basement, using a little spotlight on the dog crate food.

A trap might work well also, I don't know. With a trap the door would automatically close. Again, the dog pound would have one.

It will probably go toward light. turn the lights out and leave a basement door open. It would help if you put a rabbit treat on each step. Just a little green leaf to encourage it to go up.

At the top of the stairs have a large dog crate (the wire kind, not with solid sides) with a saucer of water at the far end, and some yummy greens. Have the crate far enough from the doorway that you can swing the crate door closed. Use a string tied to the crate door so you can swing it closed without being seen.

If you don't know anyone with a dog crate, the dog pound would probably lend you one.

You could also play follow the light in the basement, using a little spotlight on the dog crate food.

A trap might work well also, I don't know. With a trap the door would automatically close. Again, the dog pound would have one.
I have a coon trap but its weight-sensitive. Idk if the cottontailś bodyweight would be enough>

But ill give it a try perhaps..

There is a small eastern cottontail roaming my basement. How do I get it out of there?
How did it get in?

If there is a door directly to outside, you may be able to open that door, wait a while for the rabbit to take itself out, then close the door again. This can work surprisingly well sometimes, because wild animals often want to get back out if you just give them a chance to settle down and think about the matter.

I tried to but that thing ran into the item room and burrowed itself into the tight nooks and crannies. It still comes out often though, but keeps on running back to its artificial burrow whenever I come.
If there are any other rooms in the basement, I would close the doors to them (so the rabbit can't go into another room.)

Depending on what items are in the room, moving the items might let you open up the hiding place, and chase the rabbit out (or chase it into a dog crate and then carry it out.)

I tried to grab it but it screamed and tried to bit e me..
Screaming won't hurt the rabbit, but biting could definitely hurt you.

How did it get in?

If there is a door directly to outside, you may be able to open that door, wait a while for the rabbit to take itself out, then close the door again. This can work surprisingly well sometimes, because wild animals often want to get back out if you just give them a chance to settle down and think about the matter.

If there are any other rooms in the basement, I would close the doors to them (so the rabbit can't go into another room.)

Depending on what items are in the room, moving the items might let you open up the hiding place, and chase the rabbit out (or chase it into a dog crate and then carry it out.)

Screaming won't hurt the rabbit, but biting could definitely hurt you.
Actually I could try that too... I have a backdoor that leads from my vegetable garden to my basement. I could leave that open, but I fear that more rabbits are gonna want to come in..

Back
Top Bottom