Wild turkey nesting. what do I feed it? **PICTURE pg 2**

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
I have a wild turkey in my front yard under a grape vine. I think it must be setting on eggs because it does not move off the spot when we get near.

I have laying feed and chick feed. Can it have any of that? I did put some corn and water out for it for now.

Thanks,
Ellie

Last edited:
Not really protected from dogs but we don't have any. I rarely see dogs here. We do have cats. She is striped and light colored.

I will put out some laying feed and scratch for her and continue the corn.

Thanks so much,

Ellie

Wow, I just went out to put some feed out for it and my huge tom cat was laying not a foot away from it under the grapevine. He jumped out and nearly gave me a heart attack.
ep.gif

The turkey never moved away !!! There must be eggs under her.

Ellie

Yeah, Cyn, all the grandkids got to see it today.

Cheryl, that is why I came here. I know she does not want to leave that nest, so thought I would at least put something nearby if she wanted it. If I shouldn't, I sure hope someone tells me, because I mean her no harm.

Ellie

You don't need to feed it anything. If it wasn't in your yard it wouldn't be any different. When it's time to eat she will find food wherever she was finding food before.

Just do your best not to disturb her. We accidently jumped a hen early this spring. She abandoned her nest.

Where we live it's a big big fine from the fish and game people if you get caught with wild birds, feeding them or anything. Be careful

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom