Wild turkey nesting. what do I feed it? **PICTURE pg 2**

there are a whole flock of wild turkeys in my neighborhood and everyone keeps an eye out for them and we tell each other whos yard they spent last night in.
But we don't interfere, there is a hunting season for wild turkey's and if you get her used to human contact or let her associate humans with food, her and her chicks will be easy prey for some hunter in the fall. So please leave her be.

We've had the wild turkeys before around here with babies. I just throw a little corn out as I do for all the birds.

I have not disturbed her at all and will just make sure she has water nearby (it is 100 degrees just about every day now).

I don't think the game warden will say anything.... they are always around (just never seen them on the nest or so close,. She is right under my window in the front yard.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Ellie

Do you ever see her get up? Just hope she isn't hung up on anything... and hope you don't plan to pick the grapes because turkeys LOVE grapes and will eat them for you. Usually just as they get ripe and before you can get them.

You are very fortunate to have the wild hen nesting in your yard. I don't see anything wrong with putting food out for her but just don't crowd her by getting too near. My experience with wild turkeys is the hen will abandon her nest if flushed from it so be very careful about approaching her.

I have to wonder why she would choose to nest near your house unless she has figured out being near humans discourages predators like bobcats, coyotes and foxes. Perhaps she is someones free ranging wild hen that has sneaked off to your house to nest. If you have been able to get close to the nest and not flush her then that is what I am suspecting.

Wild hens do not need any assistance as far as food and water goes. They will always nest fairly close to a food and water source.

How wonderful~~a wild turkey nesting in your yard! I wish that would happen to me. Yesterday, someone had a wild bear cub up in their tree with a picture.....I have a wasp nest...does that count??! (I don't thing so.)
roll.png

But if your bird is wild, she will know where to get her own food & water, I should think....those animal are quite industrious that way or "instinctive" I should say.

Have fun watching her & her little chicks when they hatch & let us know how it goes!
big_smile.png

I would be careful not to put feed near her nest as it does attract predators...
If you notice when they leave the nest they keep it clean, no poop near it or when the babies are hatching they even eat the shells so as not to attract.....
I think nature has been doing well without us.....
She obviously feels safer having a nest close to you for protection.....

Here she is:

Turkey.jpg

She was there when I had a painter painting my house with a ladder near and over her! That is how I found out she was there.

The neighbor a few acres over has all kinds of birds, chickens, guin however you spell that, turkeys, etc. It may be his One did come over and fly up into one of my sheds and I just let it be and it left. Many days during the spring and fall, I see one walking in my back yard but again, I just let it be. Usually an adult with babies.

You are right, they must feel safe here. And, again, the grapes will be pretty good for her to eat. I do throw corn out on occasion for the doves and others that come around.

This will be fun to be able to watch. The grandkids went up and whispered to each other as they looked. They are very careful around them because of grandma's spoiled chickens, LOL.

Ellie

Last edited:
Well you can relax about scaring her off. That is not a wild turkey. It appears to be a heritage breed possibly a Royal Palm or Narragansett. Go ahead and feed and water away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom