1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wild Turkeys being domesticated? Possible?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ACM22, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ACM22

ACM22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Can you domesticate a wild turkey if you have it as a chick?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Im not a turkey expert but you might have to check local fish and game about regulations on taking wild animals.

3. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    you can domesticate any animal if you raise it. It is illegal in many areas to take wild turkeys and raise them, make sure to check with local fish and game.

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

It's possible. Take my word that you can't tame them when they grow up. I've caught so many wild turkeys that have really torn themselves up trying to get away. I would never keep a wild turkey. I just wanted to observe them. My title says everything. [​IMG]

5. ACM22

ACM22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Ok so it is possible but check with fish and game? Ok [​IMG] Thank you so much!

6. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Do You Have High Speed?? If So Go To Pbs.org And Look Up "my Life As A Turkey" Or Oder The Dvd Of It !! You Will Be Happy You Did!!!! It Talks About A Guy Doing What You Want To Do!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by