Wildfire smoke affecting keets?

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

Off-Grid Hatchery
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2023
Southeastern Montana
Had keets since Wednesday and since Thursday wildfire smoke has came in to point of 180 AQI on index scale. About starting Friday evening when I started seeing keets with eyes closed, so about 6 hours or less I have been going out there washing them out so they can see again and eat/drink. No major/minor build up of anything, no eyes clouded over, just as if one woke up with sleepy eye. I figured their poor eyes are irritated with extra drainage from the smoke and they are getting stuck closed.
Even the cat is having labored breathing it's so bad.

Had keets since Wednesday and since Thursday wildfire smoke has came in to point of 180 AQI on index scale. About starting Friday evening when I started seeing keets with eyes closed, so about 6 hours or less I have been going out there washing them out so they can see again and eat/drink. No major/minor build up of anything, no eyes clouded over, just as if one woke up with sleepy eye. I figured their poor eyes are irritated with extra drainage from the smoke and they are getting stuck closed.
Even the cat is having labored breathing it's so bad.
Is it possible to keep them inside it in a garage? And if the cat is allowed outside I'd suggest keeping her or him inside.

That's where both are at and try keeping cat inside the home here, nope he ain't having that he is scratching the door down.
Ok if the keeps are in a garage or a place with air conditioning or an air purifier that will definitely help keep the air nice and breathable for them. And as for the cat, he clearly doesn't care about his lungs so idk

Ok if the keeps are in a garage or a place with air conditioning or an air purifier that will definitely help keep the air nice and breathable for them. And as for the cat, he clearly doesn't care about his lungs so idk
Don't have all those amenities, just a garage and wildfire smoke still gets in there. Guess I will just keep wiping eyes clean and seal the place up better.

For future keets of others who may own them, yes wildfire smoke does affect their eyes. A little droplet of water and brush they open right up and repeat every six hours.
I noticed around 90 plus AQI (air quality index) they start having problems and by the time it gets to 200 AQI they all were having trouble.

Back
Top Bottom