Wildlife Photography

Any of you use instant cameras for a bit of fun? The missus wanted to get me one for Father's Day but they're all around £80 + prints. Worth it?
#4 has a Polaroid we got her a few years ago. She has fun with it for impromptu snapshott-y things, but she prefers her cell cam or the dslr. Better shots all around.

20230529-BAC_2073-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Didn't manage to sort many out but here's a mute swan cygnet and some Egyptian gooslings.
20230527-BAC_1200-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Any of you use instant cameras for a bit of fun? The missus wanted to get me one for Father's Day but they're all around £80 + prints. Worth it?
I'm very partial to a good DSLR. One that lets you control a shutter speed up to1/4000 of a second at least for doing photos of hummingbirds. I really like shooting at 10 frames per second too when capturing butterflies, hummingbirds, and birds in flight.

Looking for some opinions.

I am trying to sort my settings out properly for birds in flight and stationary. For reference my setup works out to be around 630mm and I go around 95% of the time handheld. Lens is sharpest at F8 but decent from F5.6 (max with TC).

I have shake reduction off for both.
I have ISO on Auto for both.
I have the aperture on Auto for both.
I set the shutter speed myself for both, usually 1/640-1/1000 for stationary and 1/2000-1/3200 for BIF.

I know I need to use the ETTR rule more often as I don't change my settings (including EV) almost ever.

I am confused on what metering I should be using, some places say Spot for both, or for one and Centre for others, a few even said always use Matrix. I've always used Matrix previously but wonder if different ones could help.

My birds in flight are just not coming out great and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am able to pan and track pretty well, the focus stays on the target.

I have had success using dot focus for stationary targets. I have had success using dot for BIF but using Large area seems to work well in open spaces (not tested with busy backgrounds yet properly).

Please advise, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom