Will a 5 strand electric fence keep out foxes?

The can also go under the fence as well. Pretty much the only way to solve this is to have a couple big dogs who will chase them away..thats what I have..Ive never seen a fox ever except as roadkill but I have a fence around my property with several holes in them. Hopefully the dogs will keep them away.

x2! None of those repellents will work for long, but that electric fence will do it's job as long as it's out there pulsing. Ours gives a god 'zap' too, and it's worth it! We have the signs on it near our farm entrance, and then it's all good.
Of course toddlers need to be kept away from it, and away from the horses, the cattle, and so many other attractive dangers.
Mary
Quite true, quite true ! The natural and homemade repellents do require reapplication on a monthly to weekly basis depending on the particular recipe and weather conditions(rain, wind and temperature just to name a few). But the predator will get discouraged eventually and stop making your coop one of it's regular stops. However with the electricity, I agree, it will only take a few zaps and the chicken thieves will get discouraged rather quickly !

Last edited:
That's what I'm afraid of. So I was wondering if there's any type of fencing that I could attach to a tpost that is not going to be hard for me to do. I cannot put up welded wire or woven wire myself.
If you can not install fencing yourself, I suggest that you get some help to do it. I have a 6 ft welded wire fence with Electric 6'' off the ground, with another strand of electric at the top. All my fences are 6 ft tall starting with a 4ft Stock fence with 2 Barb Wires at 9'' up each, with electric on the very top. I even ground my Barb Wire so if they touch both ground and electric at the same time, they will really feel it. I use a "25 mile range fencer'' for maximum enforcement! Even a Coyote will jump a 6 ft fence. So you need help to make your Birds safe.

I believe that I also read somewhere a red fox could clear a 6 foot fence, but they definitely like to dig in my experience. I peel back the sod the bottom of my run (on the outside of the fence) and put down about a foot or two of concrete wire, then cover it back up with the sod. A bit of work, but a great deterrent - as they generally like to start digging right next to something that is impeding them.

That's what I'm afraid of. So I was wondering if there's any type of fencing that I could attach to a tpost that is not going to be hard for me to do. I cannot put up welded wire or woven wire myself.
A fox got all of my chickens about 10 years ago. It upset me so much I didn't get chickens again until last year . I bought a dog pen for the chicken yard . Covered the top with a canvas top with wire over top of that . I put bricks in the ground around the chicken lot. I also lock my chickens up at night in the chicken house . We have a lot of hawks up here in the mountains that still try to get in the chicken lot . I love these little guys so much and will do what ever it takes to keep them safe .

I have a 36 inch high by 164 feet long electric poultry netting and is perfect. Keeps the fox out and everyrhing else. Been using it for a long time.

A fox got all of my chickens about 10 years ago. It upset me so much I didn't get chickens again until last year . I bought a dog pen for the chicken yard . Covered the top with a canvas top with wire over top of that . I put bricks in the ground around the chicken lot. I also lock my chickens up at night in the chicken house . We have a lot of hawks up here in the mountains that still try to get in the chicken lot . I love these little guys so much and will do what ever it takes to keep them safe .
Poultry electric netting. The best thing! Keeps cats and everything else out

Lots of good advice here. Honestly, though, I think it takes multiple systems. A decent fence, even a well electrified 3 strand, and inside it one or more guardian dogs. The dogs should be raised inside the wire and afraid to cross it. They will ward off most predators and keep them from trying to get in.

Back
Top Bottom