will a bark collar work on a chicken?

A chickens natural reaction is to squall and scream when hurt or in danger. I think after the first shock your chickens would just carry on til they stroke out or the battery goes dead.

I though this thread would have come to an end long ago. Bark collars can work on dogs if used properly and preferably as a last resort but chickens are not dogs. They don't make noise for the same reasons and while they can be trained and have some intelligence it's not on the same level. It's similar to the difficulty with teaching livestock to respond to invisible electric fencing. While that can be done the natural instinct of a horse when shocked is to run straight forward. With no visual barrier they are just as likely to bolt across the line than keep away from it so much extra training is required. A chicken just wouldn't understand the purpose of the collar and might even continue to make more noise out of surprise. I think you'd just end up with a stressed chicken even if it's not that painful. Properly set electric collars do not cause pain but just get the animal's attention like getting a zap from static electricity. You wouldn't want to repeat it and no matter how mild it is it still makes you jump but it's not particularly painful. That is a properly set collar. Not idiots that just keep turning up cause they aren't getting the response they want. All electric collars whether they are bark collars or remote trainers require much training of the animals to know how to respond instead of just zapping them repeatedly until they figure it out. Done properly the zap is only an attention getter. The same as tapping my dog with my foot or hand when she's near me. With a high prey drive dog that tends to zone out everything else the remote collar makes a huge difference sometimes. Most of the time I don't even have to use more than the warning tone and she stops mid pursuit of something. A chicken though is just not going to put it together without a lot of extra effort and I do not think it would work at all for stopping them from making noise. Most birds are quite vocal and communicate quite a bit with sound. If you got shocked everytime you talked to someone it would make it awful hard to communicate and keep the flock together.

My RIRs are very noise in the morning. it all started with their laying. when they are about to lay in the morning they scream till they are done. sometimes two of them would scream as if they are yelling at each other over the nest box. Bark collar on chicken sounds cruel but i hope they can learn with the negative reinforcement. alternatively, has anyone tried the ultrasonics bark deterent devices? i dont know if ultrasonic sounds will work on chickens. or any other suggestion would be great. we love our chickens and treat and feed them well and we dont want to lose them. we are worried about how noisy they are becoming to the neighbors.
I have the same problem with my rooster, crows for hours all day and he is very loud. I. Training him by trowing water at him… when crows. He is very Smart. I have seen improvements, but training your pet is a full time job. My pets are my kids, and as you would educate a destructive child, you would with love and care, educate a disturbing pet.

I have the same problem with my rooster, crows for hours all day and he is very loud. I. Training him by trowing water at him… when crows. He is very Smart. I have seen improvements, but training your pet is a full time job. My pets are my kids, and as you would educate a destructive child, you would with love and care, educate a disturbing pet.

:welcomeThe person you have quoted hasn't posted since 2009, and this thread in general has been inactive since

Ours can be really loud too!

Do they have enough nest boxes?? Sometimes our make more noise when there is a line.

Soundproofing is also an option. Someimes if they are having a loud week we will keep them in our interior coop untill 10 or 11 am. It isn't going to hurt them to be in for a little while. Ours only go through fases of laying at the same time but usually they lay all through the day and it's not a problem. But if your all lay in the morning concider leaving them inside a coop in the mornings.

Do they have enough room? Ours were terriably noisy untill we found the culprit and we rehomed her with one of her LOUD friends and problem solved! We found that our coop is fine for 6 but not for 8.

Don't feel bad... my husband has thought of worse!
wink.png
I also have my roosters in soundproof room inside my house.they stay there till noon this has worked for years until of course someone will know there are roosters and report them for crowing in the morning at 5 which probably roosters do; but not mine. Even if they crow I can't even hear them in my bedroom left alone outside the house

Back
Top Bottom