Will a barn cat kill my chickens?

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
I've never had a cat because I'm allergic to them. My supervisor at work has barn cats and one just had kittens that she is trying to find homes for. I have moles something awful in my yard and if a cat would take care of them, I would love to get one. I have several banties that are pretty small though and I'm afraid a cat would hurt them. My next door neighbor has an outdoor cat that has never once bothered our chickens. Do you think a kitten raised with the chickens would leave them alone? My chickens are let out daily to free range but their sleeping quarters are completely enclosed where nothing can get them.

I have 4 barn cats and they give the chickens a wide berth, seem to care less about them and they were raised with them. Other people have had different experiences with them though. IMO, I would have 2 and make sure you spay or neuter them or you'll have lots of cats around. I think they stay aorund better with a pal and definitely when they are fixed and don't feel the need to travel.

I've only had 1 cat bother chickens and it was a very large feral who started by being interested in my quail. All the barn, including a good hunter, never bothered even chicks. I'm not sure how useful a cat will be for moles though. While I know one cat that loved to hunt them down I have not seen any others with a mole or shrew.

We have a "few" too many cats around our farm
hide.gif
but we have never had any trouble with them. Two years ago I had 2 kittens that insisted on sleeping in the coop every night. They did that for about a year. If I slept in and the chickens were anxious to get out, so were the cats!!

I routinuely have cats having kittens in my chicken coop and neither the momma or the babies go after the birds. I would also not trust them with chicks though. I am on my last momma, and I took away the kittens today to get them onto solid food. Once they are friendly, I have a neighbor who has a cousin who would take the kittens and the momma, all the rest of my outside cats are fixed now.

We have 7 cats(1 house, 6 barn) they have never bothered the birds. Occasionally one of the barn cats will give chase...but it seems more of a sport. They have never caught any of our birds and we often have chicks and ducklings wondering around..

Also do you hva emoles or Voles(I['m not even sure there is a difference. But our cats catch 90% voles, 10% mice around here..Even the BIG vole..the size of a rabbit
wink.png
one of our cats got.

I have one barn cat that sleeps in the bottom nesting box every night...As long as I have birds I will always have cats..their pros out way their cons by far..females make bettr mousers but unless spayed will have you over run with cats in no time..we have males all beutered..

I have 4 barn cats and they don't bother the chickens. They would kill chicks but not the full grown chickens. You may want to consider getting 2 barn cats and not just one. They will be happier to have a buddy and can gang up on larger rodents.

My 2 cats grew up with the chickens, they don't dare mess with them or the babies, I think the banty hens taught them well. If they are laying in the sun, the chickens will pounce on them and run them off or give them the stare down.... hehe. The vats dig up moles all the time and bring me their treasures, also baby squirrels ( who I ended up hand feeding) and even a young rabbit, but they do not touch the chicks...... : )

Back
Top Bottom