Will a broody hen raise chicks?

If the hen accepts the chicks they will stick close to her and should be fine with the other chickens. I tried giving my broody hens chicks but they never seem to accept them as there own. Even had to rescue some that one of my hen hatched but then started pecking at D: I was very surprised.

Ok so now you knowledgeable people are talking about something that I know nothing about. What is this notion of my hen "accepting" the chicks? Even if she is broody, then she still might not take care of the chicks? She might peck at them? Would she peck them to death? So how does this really work? I need details, please. If I put the chicks in with her at night, do I stay there and watch with a flashlight? Do I set up a lawn chair and watch her the whole next day? Is this potentially dangerous for the chicks? How long before I know if she accepts the chicks? Once she accepts them , is it a done deal? Might she reject them later? HELP!

We had a broody hen (had been sitting for about a month). So we got about 8 fertilised eggs to put under her. She hatched them out and is very protective of them. The eggs came from a friend and to see how protective she would be we let the other 4 hens get close to her and the babies. Before, she had been down low on the "pecking order" and we were afraid that it would be the same. No way was she gonna stand for it. She fought for the chicks if the others got to close to them. So we are not too worried now. Hope this helps.

It's not that bad!

If you put the chicks under her and she seems to accept them, adjust her position for them, leave them under her, all is probably well. When I've done it, I've watched for a minute or two, certainly not all night. In the morning you will be able to tell easily enough if things are OK, they'll be under her, climbing on her, pecking the ground near her, etc. Once a mama accepts the chicks as hers, she will ordinarily keep them close by during the day and cover them at night for a few weeks. Then they will begin to wander further and further, and she may peck at them to tell them to get lost, but not viciously. Then she'll just go back on the perch and they'll likely hang together, maybe on the roost, maybe in a corner or a nest box til they're ready to roost.

I had one broody who did not accept chicks I'd bought. I foolishly tried to give them to her during the day. They seemed fine at first, but an hour later the chicks were in a far corner of the coop and she was on her broody nest. She hadn't harmed them, but obviously she'd kicked them out. If I'd been wise enough to wait for nightfall, I'd probably have had better luck.

eta I've always had my mamas raise the chicks in with the flock -- I don't want to have to integrate them later or finish letting them grow up separately, after she is through being a mama. The roos if anything have been protective of chicks, and the mama has quickly run off any hen who comes too close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thank you! I can breath now
smile.png
. So I will def put them in at night and watch for a few minutes and then check first thing in the morning. My neighbor will be hatching the eggs in about one week, so I will keep you posted! Thanks again! i sure love this forum!
love.gif

smile.png

Best of luck. Watching a mama with chicks is such a great pleasure to me. And yes, do let us know. Of course we expect pics!

I had a white EE that went broody in early February, and nothing could break her of her broodiness. I tried 3X to put chicks under her. She rejected them each time (she got very agitated and pecked at them). I moved the chicks to brooders each time. I tried so many times because I thought maybe it was the color or breed of the chick.

In May, someone gave me 4 Black Copper Marans eggs, and on June 1 (20 days), they all hatched. She is The Best mamma bird. I heard that broody raised chicks are flighty, but this is not the case. She always allowed my kids and I to pick up her chicks, she just would not let us get out of her sight. Her first 2 months as a broody hen, she was mean! She was losing weight, so I hand fed her daily, and held a water bottle for her to drink. I think she really grew to trust people and has raised her chicks that way. Unfortunately, of the 4 chicks, only one was a pullet. I just gave away her 3 boys. She hardly seemed to notice, but now mom and daughter are inseperable. They seem to be happy to be rid of the boys who were often fighting with one another, kind of like my kids!

Good luck!

edited for typos

Last edited:
My broody hen sat on eggs for over a month... I then got her 4 fertile eggs from a friend and placed those under her... 2 hatched, 2 didn't make it. She is THE BEST mama hen to those baby chicks.
smile.png
She ended up setting broody for about 45 days or so! Boy was she ever happy to finally have something in return for all her hard work
smile.png

I am getting some chicks in the mail in the morning and am going to try and put them under my broody hen who has been sitting on infertile eggs for over a month. I hope she accepts them. She is a big hen, so how many chicks do you think I can put under her? Also do you think the chicks will be able to get out of her nest box (front opening about 3 inches high on the bottom) and get food and water. I am going to make sure they are eating and drinking after they arrive and then put them under her at night.

Back
Top Bottom