Will a broody hen raise incubated eggs with her own once hatched?

sandh72

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
I have a broody hen sitting on 5 eggs and I have another 7 eggs in an incubator. They were all set at the same time so I'm hoping will all hatch together (in about 10 days time). Can anyone tell me if I can put my incubated chicks in with mother hen for her to raise please? If so, how do I do it? Any advice gratefully received
smile.png

Place the chicks under her in the evening once her own chicks have hatched. She will accept and raise all.

We just did this a couple of months ago (first time our broody got to hatch, and were unsure if she would do it so we only gave her 4, she hatched 100%!) We switced out some of the chicks she hatced with some we incubated a few times over the first few days (to keep the ones we wanted and sold off the rest) if you do this , we learned, do it at night and in the first few days (she rejected one at about a week out)

Enjoy

Many thanks to you both - we will do what you suggest and give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

My Silkies will raise anything. Just as long as they have babies. Just do it in the evening when they are ready for bed and slip them under her. Make sure the ones she has under her have hatched first though.

Thanks for all the advice. Our broody hatched 3 and we got 4 from the incubator, we put them together one evening as suggested and Mother quite happily takes care of all of them - quite problem free. So we have 2 black German Langshan and 5 Goldtops - and they are so cute!

thumbsup.gif

Gotta love a good broody hen! It's so much more fun watching chicks with mamma then it is trying to keep the darn shavings out of the waterer in the brooder.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom