Will a Broody hen take another Broody's eggs that are ready to hatch?

startrek4d

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 30, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
My Coop
My Coop
One of our precious (Broody) hens was killed last night. Will another Broody that's sitting on new eggs take the ones ready to hatch?
One more question.. When I "found" the (second Broody's) newer nest this morning after last nights horrible drama, She wasn't on the nest so I took 10 of the 16 eggs that were still warm (in a panic) in case she didn't come back... I put them in the incubator with the ones( ready to hatch) that I recovered last night.. Now shes back on the nest... Should I put hers back? Should I put the other Broody's in if they are so close to hatching? Also, she is right up against the house..(the other was out by the pool pump) Should I move her to a nesting box after dark? I sure don't want to experience what we did last night ever again.. Momma hen screaming in to the darkness can never be unheard...
Summary
9 eggs from dead Broody in Incubator ( I heard the fight and picked them up immediately when I knew she was gone)
16 eggs found later by 2nd Broody that returned to the nest after I had already taken 10 of hers...which now,
those 10 are in the incubator and she has now returned to the nest.
I'm ranting.. this is my first time finding chickens nesting in the yard.. not in the pen.. They free range during the day but these two found a nook to lay in when I wasn't looking....I'm panicked! She would be sitting on 9 ready to hatch and 16 of who knows how long because I never saw her there! BTW.. She just had 10 chicks last month!

Most will take another's eggs. I think at this point I would incubate them. Otherwise if another hen is setting I would put them under her.

I would give back the broody her newer eggs.
Put the killed broodies eggs in the incubator.

....or you could toss the newer broodies eggs and give the ready to hatch ones to her.
She might freak out when they hatch unless she's experienced?

I dunno, tough call...sorry......Best of cLuck.

Ok... A storm blew her cover..so when I tried to put the cover back in place, she blew outta there quick.. Still hasnt settled back on them.. its been about 45 minutes.. I put all her eggs back that I had taken...The others are still in the bator..ready to hatch any minute...

Ok... A storm blew her cover..so when I tried to put the cover back in place, she blew outta there quick.. Still hasnt settled back on them.. its been about 45 minutes.. I put all her eggs back that I had taken...The others are still in the bator..ready to hatch any minute...
That's what I would do. Now just let her be and maybe she'll go back to her nest. Broodies like to think they're sneaky, and may not be as likely to go back to the nest if you're hovering or they know you're watching.

UPDATE: Wellllllll... Ive been BUSY, WORRIED, STRESSED, CONFUSED
he.gif
and Ultimately VICTORIOUS
celebrate.gif
all weekend... Sorry to leave you hanging...She hadnt gone back by almost dusk (7:30pm) on Saturday so I put the eggs in the incubator.. I had a Miller's Still Air Little Giant 9200 that WOULD NOT keep the temp correct. I kept finding it past the glass thermometer read...107*+ SO....I went and picked up the 9300 version with an automatic turner (all under $100.) and I'm in heaven! ...as well as the eggs
yippiechickie.gif
.. Most of the new hatch are still just a shadow.. The 6 recovered from the first night of (broody hen) carnage are in there as well and 4 of them are quite lively and I expect them to begin hatching any minute...(2 are veiny, but I don't see movement) I've already devised a drop in hatch nest suitable for just the 4 when they pip.

I have ONE question.. The Broody hen that abandoned the nest was hiding somewhere and didn't get locked up... So, at 2am, I was again chasing screams in the night ... I did recover her though.. and she was completely unharmed
yesss.gif
..... So, I put her in the pen with the rest of the group and I've NOT let them out since.... Do you think when either of these clutches hatch, that she might take the new chicks?

That's an individual hen thing. If she finds a new spot to sit, maybe, if she doesn't I wouldn't risk it, but you could show her some in a confined area to see if she is interested. My thoughts is she will probably break from being broody and won't accept any.

Back
Top Bottom