Will a chicken hawk eventually leave?

Quote:
that should work

i know that hawks are protected so just wait or somethin
roll.png

What an interesting idea to attact birds that will keep an eye on hawks. Or al least let you know when they are about. We have several pairs of kestrels (they are very small hawks in case you are not familiar) on our property. They have a very distinctive, loud and frequent call and will spend hours divebombing and flying at the red tailed and red shouldered resident hawks.

I have always listened for their calls as that means one of the bigger hawks is close by. The bigger hawks are so distracted they eventually fly off. Of course, they come back as they live here.....but everyone is alerted to their presence.

Anne

crows will also harass a hawk. I had a guy tell me to take fishing string and run it criss cross across the top of my pen and hang strips of white plastic bags from the string. I thought he was crazy but I tried it anyways. It worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am pleased to report that I have not seen the hawk. He has not been back, thank goodness. I will try some of your suggestions. We have major critter problems around here, so I will try just about anything...lol

Dorothy

I think its interesting that we will protect an animal, any animal, that may kill the very livestock which could ensure our own survival.
When did hawk protection legislation come into nationwide application - and why? Does anyone know?

But that aside, I find these hawk discussions very interesting. I know little about them, but I note what appears to be a void when it comes to real deterrents that work absolutely. Maybe I missed something. There is much anecdote, however.

- Hanging "CD's and sparkly things" always get mentioned.
What did they do before the compact disc?
- Hanging nets and string is a favorite, and both get suggested. The cost and effort of such is yours to absorb, of course. Meanwhile the hawk looks on, preening.
- Plastic owls and scarecrows have their adherents.
- Other birds that will hound a hawk into leaving are interesting. How to attract and hold things like crows or kestrels in your locale is always a question, however.
- Adding hidey shelters to your chicken yard is one that has worked sometimes.

In the end, they all depend on a hawks threatening appearance before they can be resorted to. Once you are forced into threat response, your advantage has been lost.
It's been said that, "the best defense is a good offense."

Is there anything that can postively deter them before they appear on the fencepost above your chicken yard?

Back
Top Bottom