Will a chicken with no feet lay eggs? *Pictures added*

Sabrina-Sky

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 4, 2012
Hi, I have two golden laced wyandotte hens. I got them at the same time, same age, from Meyer hatchery. One of them unfortunatly lost its feet (long story) and I was wondering if you think it would ever lay eggs. The other hen I have started a little over a week ago (Yay!) and I was wondering if you think the other one would ever start, even though its a bit handicapped. I love them both to death, regardless of eggs or not, but I was just curious. Haha, well thanks a ton for reading this. :)

Last edited:
I don't think not having feet would interfere with egg laying itself maybe the quality/quantity though. How is she getting along I read the last thread you started about how her feet just turned black and then fell off. I do wish her well.

Yes most likely she will still lay egg. I doubt her disability would interfere with her egg related organs.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking myself, but I wanted another opinion. She is getting along incredibly well without her feet! It is a miracle of how chickens can adapt to the strangest of things! =D

Well, yea she can't roost but luckily my other chicken doesn't leave her alone and lays right next to her when they sleep. I know it's a bit odd, but she just pretty much...walks on her 'ankles' if that's what you call them. She also uses her wings to help her balance a lot.

Well, yea she can't roost but luckily my other chicken doesn't leave her alone and lays right next to her when they sleep. I know it's a bit odd, but she just pretty much...walks on her 'ankles' if that's what you call them. She also uses her wings to help her balance a lot.
When I was a young kid ..... out at gramaws place there were banty chickens. When I was there they would have me hunt for eggs in the hay stack in the barn. There was not a chicken coop, not sure where they all roosted. At any rate I was always trying to catch me some of those hens, no such luck they were quicker than me. One day I spotted one of the hens and she had no feet. Asked gramaw what happened to her and was told she lost them in the snow. By golly I was sure I could outrun a chicken with no feet and decided that was the one to catch. Well I could out run her but I soon learned she could fly like a sparrow and there was no way I was catchig her, LOL.

When I was a young kid ..... out at gramaws place there were banty chickens. When I was there they would have me hunt for eggs in the hay stack in the barn. There was not a chicken coop, not sure where they all roosted. At any rate I was always trying to catch me some of those hens, no such luck they were quicker than me. One day I spotted one of the hens and she had no feet. Asked gramaw what happened to her and was told she lost them in the snow. By golly I was sure I could outrun a chicken with no feet and decided that was the one to catch. Well I could out run her but I soon learned she could fly like a sparrow and there was no way I was catchig her, LOL.
LOL thats how my hen is! Yesturday I saw her fly up to our outdoor roost, and it was pretty amazing! I was like, woah she can fly! Haha :)

Back
Top Bottom