Will a chickens egg color change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luludaxia, May 30, 2017.

1. luludaxia

luludaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    I have a light sussex hen (1 year and 3 months old) who used to lay light brown eggs. Recently, I found her eggs are lighter and lighter in color. Today I picked one up from her that is almost cream colored. Is this a natural thing that do happens or does it mean there is some trouble with her, like mal-nutrition, disease. She looks okay to me, and she's still laying a lot, almost everyday, and the shape of the eggs are not changed.

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    eggs can vary in shades my cochins will lay almost white eggs one day and the next brown to light brown...

luludaxia likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It's perfectly normal for eggs to get lighter in color as a hen's laying cycle progresses. When she stops laying for a molt, or as the days get shorter, she will replenish her "paint pot" and her eggs will be dark at the beginning of the next laying cycle.

4. Chickassan

Chickassan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    Yep, Bea-Bea my beaster egger "buff orpington and easter egger" lays mint green eggs normally but lately she's laying bluer eggs like my Susan.Marlene lays a different shade of brown nearly everyday some even have speckles.Surprise everyday when it comes to eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by