Will A Duck Fit In Here?

Joe Jordan

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
I probably should have checked before I ordered the ducks but, would ducks be able to get into their coop?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/silver-lake-coop

If you look you can see the ramp and the front door. The ramp takes them to their run but the front door takes them out to free range. The chickens navigate both very well but I've read something recently about ducks not being too fond of ramps. What do you think?

What breeds did you order? I think they'll fit it will just be a challenge getting them used to the ramp.

going to have to lower that entire thing closer to the ground and build steps going into the front door for them to safely get inside. Are you planning to build a new one or make the ducks share with the chickens? It wont hold very many comfortably.

My ducks all have used a ramp (Pekin, Runners, Muscovies, Swedish, and a few mixed breeds). Our ramp is longer and more gradual though. But everyone used it easily from the start.

I think it would work just fine. If there are only three ducks, I don't see why not. Mine use ramps too, they will learn.

How many chickens do you have in there now? In your link you started with 7 but planned to add more. Ducks don't need much coop space (similar to chickens about 4 sq ft each) but if they are going to be confined during bad weather they need more. Make sure that they have an area that is not under the chicken's roosts ( no fair to get pooped on while sleeping
sickbyc.gif
)

How large is the run that is attached to the coop? Ducks should have at least 10 sq ft of yard each minimum.

Nice coop!

My call's walk up a bridge ramp into their house and inside their house there is quite a steep ramp to the second floor and they are always up there!
smile.png

Thanks for the insight! They seem to be doing alright with a "trainer" ramp in the brooder right now and yes, they will have the entire right side of the coop (opposite the laying boxes) to bed down so they won't get pooped on while they're sleeping.
thumbsup.gif
I may end up putting the flock's water under the coop so it won't pose such a fire hazard when I add a heated base for the winter, also this will free up more floor space inside the coop for everyone. Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom