will a duck hatch and raise chicken eggs?

ree2010

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Hi there have a kahki campbell duck just gone broody last two days problem being we've only had a mallard drake with her for 2 weeks in this time she's laid 10 eggs and now setting. could we slip some chook eggs under to see if she'll hatch these in case other eggs are not fertile..Many thanks nyree in Tasmania:)

Yes a duck will hatch chicken eggs successfully, but you will likely need to remove them from her because she will try to take them swimming if she has the chance.

Welcome to BYC Re2010 From a fellow Aussie in Melbourne.

Hope all goes well with your broody. Some of those eggs could be fertile - and she may still lay a few extra eggs once sitting so if you are going to remove some of the duck eggs to make way for the chicken..You could wait a few days to candle them and see which are developing. Remove the ones that arent and place the chook eggs under her a week after she starting sitting. That way any chickens will hatch the same time as the ducklings.

welcome-byc.gif
Yes, she can hatch the chicken eggs, but she won't be a good mother to the chicks. Most ducks don't brood their young as much as chickens. The chicks will become wet and chilled. A chicken hen can hatch and raise ducklings, but they become extremely concerned when their babies go swimming.
lol.png
Hopefully some of her eggs are fertile and you will see some ducklings. If you have seen the drake breeding her, her eggs should be fertile. Realize that the chicken eggs will hatch in 21 days which will not allow the duck eggs enough time to hatch--28 days required. If this happens she will probably leave the nest in an attempt to care for the chicks. I think I'd just go with the duck eggs in order to be safe.

Last edited:
my neighbor used to have chickens and ducks, and they lived by a little creek. they had a mama hen raise some duckies, and one day the ducks made their way down to the creek and went in for a swim, and the mama hen started freaking out. she was running up and down the creek squawking and even ran up to the house and started bawking at the door for human help lol.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom