Will a good broody raise chicks she didn't hatch?

The hen I'm hoping will adopt the chicks will hatch any eggs. I swear you could put reptile eggs under her and she'll hatch and raise them. She is just finishing up with her duckings so I'm hoping she'll take new chicks without sitting on new eggs at all. I'm thinking she might just because she is such a great mom. She is 1/2 Standard Cochin and 1/2 Americauna so she's a big girl too and can cover lots of eggs and chicks. We hardly get any eggs out of her because she only lays for a week here and there inbetween broods but she's worth her weight in gold because of her mothering skills.

She has taken care of a lot of ducklings. Her first batch she got really upset every time they went in the water but now she just stands beside the water and keeps an eye on them. I'm always so amazed at how loving and loyal chickens are, especially with babies.

Here she is with her first batch of ducks.
65986_tangerine_chicks.jpg

my BA hatched 3 eggs,then like 4 days later i bought 2 buff brahmas and a dark brahma that were a couple days old i figured,,the 2 buffs she accepted as soon as i put them by her they ran right under her.the dark she didnt want anything to do with for some strange reason.So yes and no i guess??

Back
Top Bottom