Will a half Maran still lay a dark egg?

chanceosunshine

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
NW Ohio
I have a post in another area that I was curious about the breed of chicken she was. I "knew" she was supposed to be half Maran, but then it dawned on me that her eggs are so light, maybe that's not really possible??
There were a couple of guesses that she was mixed with Austrolorp.
This is her and her eggs that she's sitting on. They are obviously quite light in color.
IMG_2856.jpeg

68226702118__31B04745-C75C-490A-9860-BD7DBB601BC1.jpeg

Those eggs are very light in color for a hen with Marans background. I'd candle them and remove any that are not developing. That's a lot of eggs for her to cover effectively. One in the foreground appears to be dented. If so I would remove it from the clutch.

Those eggs are very light in color for a hen with Marans background. I'd candle them and remove any that are not developing. That's a lot of eggs for her to cover effectively. One in the foreground appears to be dented. If so I would remove it from the clutch.
They are due to hatch on Friday. Will candling still work?

Yes candling at any stage is possible.
You should see eggs that are mostly full (dark) and movement. I think sometimes drawings are difficult to show what an end stage looks like. In a few days you should see what looks like shadows of a chick in the air cell, and breathing moment.

Yes candling at any stage is possible.
You should see eggs that are mostly full (dark) and movement. I think sometimes drawings are difficult to show what an end stage looks like. In a few days you should see what looks like shadows of a chick in the air cell, and breathing moment.
Ok. I'll do that when she leaves the nest today.

Back
Top Bottom