will a hawk kill a full grown standard chicken?

Not only will hawks kill chickens but they will scare them and stress a flock so much that the hens won't lay well. Having hiding places for your birds is a good defence and it is best to place them in corners as frighten birds will run and pile up in the corners. Roosters will usually help warn the girls about a hawk around but they are not fool proof guard dogs. For small pens having netting over the top is a solution. My neighbor uses fishing line and strings it randomly across the top of his pen.

Well, today I noticed the Leo "Rooster" making this loud weird noise that I've never heard from him before. So, I walked out back and everyone of them were hiding in corners and under the trees. It was so loud, which is fine. I've never seen them act like that. So, I'm looking around, because yesterday I saw 3 hawks couple house down flying around. I happen to look up from the coop run in one of the big trees, and I saw a hawk just sitting there. So I sprayed it with a powerful water hose I had to scare it away. It ended up leaving. Hopefully it won't come back.
1f632.png

Back
Top Bottom