will a hawk kill a full grown standard chicken?

jsanders

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Calera aka Minooki
We have them range through here some. The coop and run are under some pine trees but I don't want to take too much of a chance.

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
Yes the larger hawks will kill a chicken. Even the smaller one will take a chick. If they have cover (bushes) to hid under with pine trees above, the are fairly save.

TriciaHowe

Mother Hen
11 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Trenton, FL
Yes I lost a full grown barred rock hen to one last year. We have smaller hawks here and he couldn't do anything but drag her. My barred rock roo defended her and stayed with her until I got out there. Of course the hawk was gone. My FIL who lives next to me saw the whole thing and told me what happened. He's disabled so there was nothing he could do about it.

ETA: The hawk did kill the hen but the rooster was trying to protect her the best he could....

Last edited:

runagun

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Saw a hawk take down my fully grown Rhode island red rooster. So yess chickens are hawk food.

okiron

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
My friend has a hawk problem with them trying to carry off his shibas. 20lb dogs. Even if they couldn't actually pick them up they can cause fatal injuries.

Faverolle

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Massachusetts
Hawks will kill full grown standard size hens. I lost quite a few full grown hens to smaller hawks as well so it's not just the larger hawks you need to worry about.

cmjust0

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Central KY
Hawks can exert 500psi of gripping pressure through their talons... That's enough to crush a human skull, if only they could get their toes around it.

I just read that a few minutes ago and thought it was pretty amazing..

Top Bottom