Will a Hawk return to a flock?

unfortunately I have no idea what kind of hawk this was. It looked like a medium sized, barred brown / white hawk. My guesses are a Red Shoulder, Broad Wing, or some species of Falcon. I didn't get any pictures so i'm going off memory. I can cross off the Red Tail and Coopers just because this bird didn't look like either, which I suppose is a good thing.
We have lost a bird to a hawk before. We kept our birds in the coop for a week before letting them back out in the yard. We've had other run ins with hawks before that, but from what I could tell our other roo was able to fight them off. We lost a bird to a hawk after we got rid of said roo.
If there would be an ideal attack, it would be one where the hawk has a near miss and allows our roo to figure out that these guys don't mess around...
We've also gotten a fake owl, and plan to exchange it for some crow decoys latter on.
I don't know if its just coincidental, but after I set up the owl a hawk was flying high above the yard. Just as he crossed the fence line (be it really high in the air) he sorta paused, hanged in the air a bit, and shifted 45 degrees in the other direction.
Could be a coincidence, but I thought this was cool to see...

@aart has a pic of a hawk on a fake owl lol don’t know how well they work. Maybe initially until the hawk realizes it’s fake.
Here is the same picture. I found it online.

Attachments

• hawk-vs-owl-blog-image-1.jpg
    hawk-vs-owl-blog-image-1.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom