Will a heat lamp be warm enough in a barn brooder in 5 degree temps?

kelly52862

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Kentucky
My chicks (50) hatched last weekend. I usually move them to the barn brooder after a week. This weekend thru next week they are calling for temps below 10 degrees. Will 2 heat lamps keep them warm enough?

My chicks (50) hatched last weekend. I usually move them to the barn brooder after a week. This weekend thru next week they are calling for temps below 10 degrees. Will 2 heat lamps keep them warm enough?
I recommend getting 250 watt bulbs if you don't already. It should keep it warm enough if the bulbs are low enough. I don't know if 50 chicks can all fit under 2 lamps, you may need a third.

I would go back with what Aart said watch their behavior. If they are all huddled under the lamp and fighting for center, add another lamp. If they are staying away from it then don’t add another or you’ll have chicken nuggets...jk.

A979CBC0-D6D9-493D-8A82-AFCEC6143EDB.jpeg

You might want to add siding panels or plywood around the outside for added insulation, and especially something under the brooder, as well as on top. I used sleeping bags on top to get the warmth I needed, we had lows of 10 degrees F while my birds were a few weeks old. They were in a shed that, other than the brooder area, was uninsulated. I had a 400W brooder/heater, and 1, 250W heat lamp but I like the idea of two or more lamps, so you have a backup for if one fails. I used a baby monitor and an indoor/outdoor weather sensor so I could check on the birds without going outside at 3 am to 8 am, when they'd be in the most danger of being cold.

250 watt bulbs will do it. I've done it before. I would avoid it if possible, but if there is no draft and you use at least two lamps, they'll be okay. Especially since there are so many, they can huddle a bit.

Back
Top Bottom