will a hen "adopt" a chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crystal94040, Feb 26, 2008.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    I wanted to get a few chicks this spring. I'm wondering If I HAVE to raise them separate or if I can just introduce then to the hens and see if one "adopts" them??

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Actually, if a hen isn't already broody, she may kill the chick.

3. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Hen/s that are not broody will not adopt them. As speckledhen pointed out, they will in all probability harm them.
    It is possible but extremely difficult to have a broody hen adopt new hatched chicks if the timing is right. However, mother nature is very hard to trick as a general rule.
    I have had success doing it and as many failures as well.

4. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I just had a bantam cochin frizzle roo and hen take on 4 older chicks. I do not think it happens that much though I was told they made good fosters.

5. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    I dont think this happens in the real "chicken" world, but I have 2 mixed breed hens that are 4 months old and I had 3 pure buffs and 1 BR and 1 mixed chick and had them in the process of introductions......

Anyway my dogs got out(stupid me) and tore up my buffs and BR! There was one lonley chick left after all that and it had some blood on its head. So.......

The hens all of a sudden adopeted the little one (1.5months old)! They took it literaly under their wing and now they look like a family. The baby was immidiatly accepted, but when the other babies were there the hens were kinda mean and causious.

So.....I guess under some extreme cercumstances things like that can happen.

[​IMG]

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    no do not put a chick in with a hen. She will kill it and probably try to canabilize it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by