1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will a hen lay different colored eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by banananutmuffin, Sep 12, 2011.

1. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

I have 5 birds: an australorp, a red sexlink, a welsummer (I think), an easter egger, and a maran mix. The maran is young and is definitely not laying yet.

So far I have found eggs sporadically in the nest boxes (I actually think they may be laying some eggs in the woods next door to me where they range).

I found some that are light beige, some that are a darker beige (more like the brown color in supermarket "brown" eggs), one blue/green egg, and one that's olive green.

My question: Is it possible the light beige and darker beige eggs are from the same chicken? What about the blue/green and olive egg? Could those both be from the easter egger? Or is it more likely that I actually have four different hens laying?

Here are pics of the eggs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

The tan ones could be the same chicken but I think you have 2 different girls laying those green ones.

3. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

Well, I got another olive green one today. The blue/green one was a first, so maybe it was a fluke from the EE and she's going to lay olive ones from now on.

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I have several different colors of eggs but the hens always lay the same color. The only difference I've ever seen is sometimes they have more speckles than others. [​IMG]

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My understanding is that egg color doesn't change. A hen will always lay the same egg color. Sometimes it may be a little lighter or a little darker - but always the same color. So, if that is true, you've got four layers. Maybe your Welsummer is like the "Welsummer" I got in June. She turned out to be an Easter Egger and lays a beautiful pastel green egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by