Will a new-to-laying hen skip a day just because her favorite nest is occupied?

suppersong

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
Leverett, MA
My Barred Rock One Patch just started laying. Day 1 was Wednesday at 1:30. Day 2 she skipped. Day 3 at 12:30 she laid again. Today was Day 4, and it looked like she was fixing to lay again around 1:30 and doing all her behaviors--groaning, pacing, visiting her favorite nest. But my Wyandotte Stripèd got there first and ended up laying her first egg! Afterward, Stripèd let fly a loud egg song for about 10 minutes which distracted the whole rest of the flock.

One Patch, who had no interest in the other available nest, stopped her pre-laying behavior after that and seems to have settled down. Does a chicken ever just skip because she doesn't get to use her favorite nest? I'm sure she'll lay again tomorrow.

Most grateful for any thoughts.

The reasons chickens use to vary their behavior are many and varied. I suspect from your description that she is just working out the kinks in her egg production system. And with winter coming on she may just be getting ready to slow down for the season. I wouldn't worry too much as long as she seems healthy and vigorous and eating well.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom