Will a pecked-at egg still hatch...?

alpinewelsummer

Songster
Mar 15, 2021
One of our ducks is sitting in a live clutch. This poor girl has had an extremely stressful time with our chickens eating over half of her brood before we realized what was happening and gave her her own run alone. Should have done that from the start.

Well, today a well-meaning family member, not knowing the egg situation and the fact that chickens could give a rat's tail about the rain, locked the chickens up in the duck's run "to keep them out of the rain". I immediately ran outside in a panic and just barely managed to stop them from piercing the membrane on one of the duck eggs, though they had crackled the shell.

So, the shell is currently indented as if someone had pressed their thumb down on a hard boiled egg and squooshed it, but the membrane is still intact and there was no goo or liquid seeping out anywhere.

I put the egg back in the nest and the poor stressed out duck mom ran to sit on it immediately. Now I'm worried whether the little thing will even hatch or if the mom herself might try to eat it once she sees that it's cracked. What do you guys think?

Sad update: one of the kiddos left the run door open and the chickens got another egg. She's down to two but I've got a padlock on there now so let's hope for the best for the surviving ducklings :'(

Back
Top Bottom