Will a single turkey be happy?

BlueFoxSpringer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
I am wanting to get a single male turkey for a pet. Will he be happy if it is just him, and will a single turkey strut around and make their little turkey noises? Also, I have lots of chickens and 2 ducks...will they get along with each other?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me chimes in, but I know a few things.

First, I think it would get lonely by itself. Putting him with the other birds.... They say not to. They can contract a disease called blackhead from the chickens (or is that the other way around?) when raised on the same ground. I have not had a problem with this outdoors, but they are never in the same pen in the barn. I don't know if I am lucky or am pushing my luck
roll.png

I would try to get him a couple girls for company. I'm not sure if or why he would strut around without a girl to show off to
hmm.png
I just know that turkeys are so curious and cute in their own way. Whenever I am working in the barn, they have their heads through the wire to see what I am up to.

If there are other birds around i think he will be fine.But completely alone,No. And yes,he will strut and gobble along with the hens,roosters and ducks.

I have a turkey that was a stray picked up by Animal Control. Added him to my flock of 12 hens with one rooster. He seemed very happy to follow the birds around, always at the end of the row, very timid, the chickens set him straight right away by jumping up and pecking him on the snout. Then, my rooster and several hens were killed, probably by coyotes (they were all free range). Now, the turkey is in front and the hens follow him around! I now have him and my remaining 8 hens in lockdown in the pen until it is safer for them to free range. I don't worry about blackhead; that is something that comes from overcrowding and reduced immunity, usually in young birds, not mature ones. They are all a little sullen about not getting to go outside, otherwise, they seem perfectly content. I think I will get a couple of turkey hens in the spring to keep him company, and maybe raise my own little turkey flock! (We were going to eat him for Thanksgiving, but he was just too nice a bird).

Christi

I don't have a lot of experience, but I raised 2 BB turkeys this fall. We had one butchered around October, and left the other to be done closer to Thanksgiving. All I can say is they seemed much happier together. Once the first was gone, the other seemed lonely and didn't gain much more weight.
sad.png

No they will not be content or happy. Turkey's are flock type birds and need other of there kind around. From time to time they may bond with other poultry, but they need other turkeys of the same kind. If you have a Tom's or hens, never just have 2 of the same gender as the will fight all the time changing the pecking order.

The other day while trying to get a clear path through the snow, I watched out two Spanish black males go at for almost an half hour. Fortunately no blood or injuries.

Tom

Quote:
I have a single Royal Palm turkey hen - that I inherited - in with my Langshans. Every time I throw her out, she just comes back. Now I'm finding turkey eggs in my chicken boxes! (Mind you - this is WHY I don't want her in there. I've found that a turkey hen will smash all of your chicken eggs when she squeezes her fat arse into the tiny opening and you try to get the eggs out!) Anyway, I went down to the coop yesterday and that same hen is sitting on the floor of the coop wanting bred by the Langshan rooster.

roll.png
Not a lot of brain power there.
roll.png

She's happy as can be! You won't have a problem.

Edited for grammatical errors

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that when I had a single turkey, he was constantly bothering and wanting to be with the chickens. He also did not free range in the way a group of turkeys will, without a flock he seemed to spend most his time in a small area or trying to get into the henhouse. The chickens did not care for him, and he also tried to mate with them which they really didn't like and resulted in some injuries. I got him 2 hens, he is much more content and does not bother chickens anymore. The turkey flock travels around my property as a flock now. I would say that in a group they are more able to socialize normally and probably happier. I know my tom is happier now.

2009 Was A Terrible Year For My Turks I Have One White Tom Left And He Is Extremely Happy He Is Always Strutting And Gobbling . Everytime The Roos Crow He Gobbles Im Pretty Sure He Thinks He Is A Chicken So I Say If You Want A Turkey Go For It . Mine Is So Friendly And Sweet:)

Back
Top Bottom