Will a squirrel feeder attract other critters?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I am thinking of putting up a squirrel feeder, but I had the thought that it might attract other critters, in particular raccoons or possums, or other animals that might notice my chickens. I've had chickens for almost 3 years and have never had a problem with predators beside hawks, and I don't want to start attracting them now! I suppose it depends on what is in the squirrel feeder - nuts and seeds are what I am planning.

You're right, it will attract anything that eats what is in it.

Even without the squirrel feeder, you'd be amazed at the variety of predatory wildlife that will frequent your yard when you're sound asleep.

Squirrels themselves are a know problem
smile.png

There is a thread going on about it now...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/929348/squrilles-in-the-coop#post_14194219

Dependent upon what you have in the feeder, it may attract anything from birds to rats to bears.... The bears around Va. are notorious for destroying anything that has corn or sunflower seeds in it. Coons and possums are particularly fond of corn.

Just food for thought

Dependent upon what you have in the feeder, it may attract anything from birds to rats to bears.... The bears around Va. are notorious for destroying anything that has corn or sunflower seeds in it. Coons and possums are particularly fond of corn.....
Just food for thought
Hawks are also notorious for being attracted to the squirrels and the song birds that bird feeders attract. But other birds are an even greater danger to your flock by virtue of song birds being a vector for mites, lice, and almost every chicken disease known to man.

Back
Top Bottom