Will any hatch at only 40% humidity from lockdown on?

Oh boy, the air cells were only a centimeter big? It is very important that you lose more moisture than that. I would say the top 1/4 of my eggs are open inside by the time lockdown comes.
What happens is the chick pips internally first. If there is too much fluid it drowns in it before it can work it's way out.

As they are your eggs and hardier, I think you could be fine. Hoping so anyways.

I have several different hygrometers and don't know if they are completely accurate. But as I like to dry incubate I don't worry too much. I add a tablespoon of water to the incubator every few days and that's it for the first 18 days. Then I fill the water wells at lockdown and let them hatch.

Good luck to you. Oh it will take about 12 hours for them to pip and zip out...so don't worry. Rocking is good!

I find that is the average. Keep me posted, I am really curious now! I just had two hatches in the last week. Not alot, only 11 (6 & 5)

I have learned alot since I have started and enjoy helping others find out what works for them. There are so many things to learn!

I have used broodies too, but I always leave them to it, so I have never monitored how long it takes them. So... what are you hatching?

Mine were "meaties" , buckeye, mottled java, turkens and light sussex

People eat turkens? I thought they were ornamental
idunno.gif

I am hatching all hybrids (to be layers) - a 3/4 RIR x 1/4 RIW roo over RIR, EE, BO, and SLW; an unknown combination of bantam cochins (since my breeding pens are still in progress); and some of my friend's eggs which are BR x buttercup over BR, EE, and BA x buttercup.

So far 10/23 have pipped and one is zipping, and the first one who pipped has been resting since 7 a.m. my time. Why do you think so many are hatching a day early?

How often do you hatch and what incubator do you use?

Most of mine hatch a day early too. I think the incubators are a little high. They are usually fine, so don't worry. I like the Genesis hovabator.

I hatch when the mood strikes or I want to get some better stock. Yes people eat turkens, LOL My big Turken roo was one of the hugest roosters I have. I didn't weigh him but at a guess I would say at least 10-12 pounds. Even the processor commented on his size.

He is in the freezer right now. I like the hens for their eggs, really big. But I don't like too many roos. So I am hatching out some chicks and will keep a roo for breeding in the spring, hatch more out and cull the roo.

Quote:
I am also using the 1588, so maybe it is common for that particular incubator to run around 101-101.5 degrees, like mine does, and cause the earlier development.

Hm, I didn't know turkens were good egg producers.... Do you find it more cost efficient to raise your own meat birds for slaughtering or to buy birds from the grocery store? I am thinking of eating the roosters I hatch because it is hard to sell roosters here, but you can buy a whole chicken for $5 here and I don't know if the amount of feed a cockerel would consume would cost less than that.

The first chick who pipped is still in the same position as it was 14 hours ago with its beak still sticking out of the egg, and it is chirping and breathing. Is that normal? In the past, the chicks my broody hatched would usually pip and then turn around to start zipping, so I'm not sure what it's doing.

Quote:
I am also using the 1588, so maybe it is common for that particular incubator to run around 101-101.5 degrees, like mine does, and cause the earlier development.

Hm, I didn't know turkens were good egg producers.... Do you find it more cost efficient to raise your own meat birds for slaughtering or to buy birds from the grocery store? I am thinking of eating the roosters I hatch because it is hard to sell roosters here, but you can buy a whole chicken for $5 here and I don't know if the amount of feed a cockerel would consume would cost less than that.

The first chick who pipped is still in the same position as it was 14 hours ago with its beak still sticking out of the egg, and it is chirping and breathing. Is that normal? In the past, the chicks my broody hatched would usually pip and then turn around to start zipping, so I'm not sure what it's doing.

I am not sure if all Turkens are good egg layers but mine are. The odd thing is the hens really aren't that big--except my Blue Turken who is part Orpington. But the eggs are definetely a "large" and they lay well.

I am working on my own "meatie" breed so that I don't have to buy 25 Cornish X. They may cost me a bit more money in the long run but that isn't a key issue with me. Sustainability of a breed is. I want them to breed true. I am almost there with them.

I also buy chicken at the store--we eat alot of chicken here.

Most dual purpose birds don't make cost efficient meat birds. If you are only wanting to raise some meaties up the Cornish X are quick and cost effective but stinky and messy and tend to die rather easily. They do dress out nice though.

My best guess is that your chick is stuck in the shell, probably due to humidity spike sometime in there. It happens to the best of us. Either that or it has a deformity that won't allow it to finish or is in a bad position to finish. If it hasn't progressed in a few hours you will have to decide if you are going to let it go, or help it out. Tough choice.

Are any others out yet? Pipped, zipping?

Quote:

I am not sure if all Turkens are good egg layers but mine are. The odd thing is the hens really aren't that big--except my Blue Turken who is part Orpington. But the eggs are definetely a "large" and they lay well.

I am working on my own "meatie" breed so that I don't have to buy 25 Cornish X. They may cost me a bit more money in the long run but that isn't a key issue with me. Sustainability of a breed is. I want them to breed true. I am almost there with them.

I also buy chicken at the store--we eat alot of chicken here.

Most dual purpose birds don't make cost efficient meat birds. If you are only wanting to raise some meaties up the Cornish X are quick and cost effective but stinky and messy and tend to die rather easily. They do dress out nice though.

My best guess is that your chick is stuck in the shell, probably due to humidity spike sometime in there. It happens to the best of us. Either that or it has a deformity that won't allow it to finish or is in a bad position to finish. If it hasn't progressed in a few hours you will have to decide if you are going to let it go, or help it out. Tough choice.

Are any others out yet? Pipped, zipping?

Of course they just had to wait until I went to bed, they waited ten minutes, and then three emerged by 12 a.m. (at which point I accidentally fell asleep). This morning I looked in the incubator and found that I had six more!
ya.gif

When I started writing this another hatched so now I have ten with two more zipping and an unknown number of pips (because the hatched chicks are rolling the eggs around, but I have at least four more). The humidity has increased drastically to the point where there is condensation on the window, probably because of the hatched chicks. Is that okay, or should I release some of it?
As for helping chicks out, I have had really good results with that in the past, so I wouldn't hesitate if it seemed necessary.

I wouldn't let any out. The reason is the spikes in humidity are what I believe causes the chicks to get stuck. When it drops, the membrane dries out a little and can make the chick unable to get out.

I have helped several chicks out who had very strong chirps and I didn't mind trying to help what I perceived as a healthy chick. They were stuck in there by only a few feathers. But it was enough that they couldn't finish zipping to get out.

Wait until you think all of them are done and then go in and see if there are any that need help. If there are some that are stuck, they will usually be fine until you do go in.

But if you open the incubator you take the chance of compromising the rest of the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom